PDA

View Full Version : Marlin 101 Crown Prince and a new tool

jebbh
08-09-2014, 09:21
Having recently retired (ok- “downsized”), I will have more time to go through the armory and hunt down pesky quirks.

In the early 60’s at about 13, I got my first firearm. It was a beautiful used Marlin 101 Crown Prince single shot for about $35. It had nice wood, white line spacers, a gold trigger and I topped it with a Weaver C4 scope. Incredibly accurate barrel.
The prince:

Through the years it broke in many new shooters. Two decades later when the trigger pin broke out of the yoke holding it, a local gunsmith told me it wasn’t worth fixing. He didn’t understand. I sent it off to an excellent gunsmith in Louisville who welded up the problem.

I suspect the previous owner did some dry firing, Now it only goes bang about 90% due to a light firing pin strike . I will order a new pin & spring from GunParts ( boy it looks the devil to open up the staking job holding it in and staking in the new!)

Finally here’’s my question: In my reading I discovered that some of the peening problem is in the chamber face. Midway and Brownells both sell a .22 Menck Chamber ironing tool ($24) which is supposed to help. Anybody got experience with this?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/777754/menck-chamber-ironing-tool-22-rimfire

Lastly, I have a glen field 70 (clip fed marlin M60) that sometimes stovepipe jams on fired case. Is new mainspring answer?

Thanks,
Jebb

gwp
08-10-2014, 07:21
Here is a good place to download user manuals:

http://www.stevespages.com/page7b.htm

kcw
08-10-2014, 08:51
jebbh,
The purpose of that tool is to remove steel burrs that have been rolled over the edge of the chamber due to dry firing. Upon firing, the brass expands and effectively impales itself on the burr, causing extraction problems. I don't see that you've noted any extraction problems, only ignition problems "due to a light firing pin strike". On occasion I've seen where, due to dry firing, a pocket has developed on the face of a 22 chamber which has become so deep that the chamber face can no longer effectively serve has an anvil surface to backup the rim during the pin strike. This leads to intermittent ignition problems HOWEVER the case rim is WELL indented/bent by the firing pin. The case rim gets pushed into the deep pocket worn into the chamber face and the concussion energy needed to set off the primer material gets dissipated in bending the case rim, resulting in a misfire. I'm guessing that your misfired case rims are not bent, as previously described? You merely have a shallow mark indicating a light pin strike? If so I'd check the "firing pin protrusion" from that welded up pin. My guess is that it's on the short side of the spec range, maybe even under length. Assuming that there isn't a headspace issue, a new firing pin should due the trick.
As far as the M60 goes, I think the question is "why didn't the spent case get ejected before the bolt came forward and stripped a fresh round from the magazine? If I recall correctly, that's basically a simple "blow back" design. Therefore the spent case has to extracted in order for the bolt to move rearward. The 1st thing I'd do is take the action out of the stock, lock the bolt back and blast the whole interior clean with brake cleaner, paying special attention to cleaning the bolt out. Once your certain that everything is cleaned, lightly oiled and moving freely take it to the range.

jebbh
08-10-2014, 12:10
Thanks GWP, that's cool. With that and the Gun Digest disassembly book, I can really get myself in trouble!
Jebb

jebbh
08-10-2014, 12:49
Mr K- The firing pin not welded, the receiver was where the pin holding the trigger went through. I am ordering a new firing pin and springs, but from the photo you can see what I mean about the punch staking that holds the firing pin in it's channel. It may be another gunsmith install.
click to enlarge

On the M70, I did clean gunk out of the extractor recesses in the chamber face with a dental pick and will use my newly acquired brake cleaner on the action. Owing to the back surgery it'll be a bit until I can get some trigger time. Thanks again.
Jebb