PDA

View Full Version : Trigger Job

joet
08-03-2014, 08:02
Any info about having a trigger job done.Just would like to have it smoother.Is there a way to do this,or is it a gunsmiths job.

Thanks

Joe

jebbh
08-03-2014, 08:44
Other than swapping parts out to replace a glitchy one, I think it's a gunsmith job. I'd tread very lightly with trigger work on an autoloading rifle. I had a smith do a trigger job when he glass bedded a rifle for me. It is definitely a little better than the average now.

broom jockey
08-03-2014, 08:55
Yes, be very careful if doing it yourself. DO NOT remove metal, just polish. A search online will turn up a lot of trigger work.

StockDoc
08-03-2014, 03:19
Goggle or Bing searches will get you results on how to do it. Take it slow and keep checking you progress and get a trigger pull gage. 5 lbs is what you want, so it gives enough to wear. Brownells sells the stone as well as other sources. get an old Hammer to start, they take the least amount of work. Check trigger pull weight before you start.

A NM trigger job is different, best left to a M1 'smith.

Roadkingtrax
08-03-2014, 05:33
Perform at your own risk. Easy to do...easy to screw up if you go under 4.5lbs. Risk of doubling if it gets too light.

http://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=37213

Liam
08-06-2014, 06:52
The process is covered in this book:
http://www.amazon.com/The-Garand-Complete-Assembly-Guide/dp/1888722134
The same author(s) covered the process in recent GCA magazine edition. In both instances, the stress was on not moving too fast/not removing too much metal. Check constantly.

John Sukey
08-06-2014, 12:06
I remember a training film while I was in the Army about doing "trigger jobs" on M1's. Did not turn out well. And YES I was issued a Garand!!!

Emri
08-12-2014, 05:52
I had Fulton Armory do one for me years ago. First stage takeup smooth as silk. Hold at second stage, acquire sight picture, apply more pressure and breaks like a glass rod.

Sunray
08-13-2014, 02:02
On what? Go here and down load the M14/M1 Accurizing manual. Note the need for the provided UN & PW. Know how to disassemble and re-assemble the trigger group first. http://www.biggerhammer.net/manuals/

flintsghost
09-06-2014, 06:36
Yes, be very careful if doing it yourself. DO NOT remove metal, just polish. A search online will turn up a lot of trigger work.

I really hate to point this out, but.... any time you polish you are removing metal. That's how the polish occurs. However, I would state for the record, that the easiest way to foul up your weapon is to do the job yourself when you don't know what you are doing. The best trigger jobs are done by trained armorers, not gunsmiths (there is a difference) who have access to a lot of parts (particularly triggers, hammers, and secondard sears.) The first part of any really good M1, M14, or M1A is to find all three parts that are well matched to each other, which is why access to parts is important. Then to mate the surfaces together evenly and smoothly which will result in a crisp trigger with minimal takeup. Then the weight is adjusted by spring tension. Springs should be compared for the shortest length which will give the lightest pull consistent with the specs required for the rifle. Properly done that will yield the best trigger job.

joet
09-07-2014, 06:22
flintsghost,

Thank you for your reply

I would not attempt to do a trigger job myself. There are a few people that do this work,but they appear to be gunsmiths.Do you have any suggestions?

dnmccoy
09-07-2014, 08:26
CS109-Trigger clean up, remove creep, 4.5 lb+-This service includes the removal of all noticable creep but maintains a crisp military two stage trigger pull and a trigger weight of at least 4.5 lb.. Reducing the weight of the trigger pull is not the objective of this service. $40

Why not let the CMP custom shop do it for you and save you the hassle?

http://www.thecmp.org/Sales/customshop.htm

StockDoc
09-07-2014, 11:23
You are basic polishing the hooks, taking off the park and removing any machining marks. Before you start the polishing look for an old hammer, wear tend to lighten the trigger naturally. Then go from there.

Now if you want a True NM trigger, send it out to a good Garand Smith, there is more involved then just polishing