PDA

View Full Version : Interesting 520-30Trench on Gun Auctions

gfguns
07-29-2014, 04:47
Been following this auction and I think this must be an exception to the rule of Trench Gun address being on the right side of the barrel. Has anyone seen this configuration before? What do you think?

http://www.gunauction.com/buy/12916742

emmagee1917
07-30-2014, 09:56
Really hard to say without a hands on inspection.
Riot guns are usually below 50,000 but some are later. Most Trenches are in the upper 50,000 to upper 60,000 range , but some are earlier.
It COULD be an early trench with the early markings .
It COULD be a late riot with a trench handguard and sling swivels added.
My 60,000 trench has the split markings , let's see what earlier #'d owners say

Tom Doniphon
07-30-2014, 06:24
There was a l520 sold on one of the auction website a few years ago that was marked like the subject shotgun. It even had a rack number in the same place with the same style font. But I don't know if it had matching serial numbers, whether there was evidence of a bead sight on the barrel, or if it had the three transverse grooves cut on the barrel for the adaptor. I've seen a few others marked like the subject gun, but they either did not have matching serial numbers or were definitely riot to trench gun conversions.

67rebelsst
07-30-2014, 08:08
The trench looks to be in great shape. was it converted? I do not know. the no evidence of front sight does not fly because if it was a long barrel cut down there would not be a hole for front sight. I would not be afraid of this trench it looks legit and at that time they were using all parts at their disposal. How high will it go? I think 2.7K to 3.5K and may go higher. Good luck to whoever bids on it. If I did not already have an all matching 520-30 I would be a bidder. The front bayonet adapter looks correct in the 55k serial range it should not have an "s" and this one does not.

gfguns
07-31-2014, 06:49
Thanks for the replies/opinions. I have never removed a bayonet adapter from any of mine to see if the notches were in the white or blued. Should they be in the white? with the matching numbers and the factory identical in-letting and rear swivel attachment I am still leaning towards it being an original trench

SPEEDGUNNER
07-31-2014, 06:00
Need to drop the barrel block and see how many ***

bigskybound
08-01-2014, 12:50
Not wanting to hijack the thread, but this trench gun

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=431789834

with the P proofs on top of the receiver and barrel seems to indicate the military's lack of concern about matching numbers. It begs the question:
Why are collectors so opposed to these mix and match guns that probably had been there and done that? Just a Friday musing on my part.

gfguns
08-01-2014, 03:46
Some Matching and some non-matching guns have been there done that. There is no proof the military switched those components, it could very easily been done by someone after it left the military. Collectors like rare items that are original and high condition because they are more valuable and a better investment. Original arsenal rebuilds that are documented as such have collector value also.

gfguns
08-01-2014, 03:47
Need to drop the barrel block and see how many ***

Sorry what are are you referring to here?

Tom Doniphon
08-01-2014, 06:59
Those P proof marks on that other 520 (the one bigskybound posted a link to) are not rebuild marks. There are plenty of late made 520 trench guns in near new condition with those proof marks on them. I have one. For some reason Stevens marked many of the late guns that way. Maybe the Military asked them to do so, or maybe there was some sort of problem that required the guns to be re-proofed.

Here's the link to the gun with the P proofs:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=431789834

gfguns
08-03-2014, 07:23
My 63278 does not have those additional P proofs but 68569 does. By the way as of the the printing of Mr. Bruce Canfield's "Complete Guide to United States Military Combat Shotguns " in 2006, he states that the latest reported serial number of a Stevens 520-30 was 67905 so 68569 is very late which would jive with Tom"s point of the P proofs being found on many of the later guns.

Tom Doniphon
08-03-2014, 11:05
It is a bit odd, though, the subject gun with the P proofs is not a late made 520. Rather, it's in the 50,000 serial number range.

There are a lot of 520 trench guns with higher numbers than that reported in Mr. Canfield's excellent book. Big Larry used to own 69627, and many years ago Eric Archer reported number 69985.

gfguns
08-04-2014, 03:57
Sold for 3k+. 67 rebel nailed it. seeing what jackthedog gets for firearms makes me think about selling my collection.

The trench looks to be in great shape. was it converted? I do not know. the no evidence of front sight does not fly because if it was a long barrel cut down there would not be a hole for front sight. I would not be afraid of this trench it looks legit and at that time they were using all parts at their disposal. How high will it go? I think 2.7K to 3.5K and may go higher. Good luck to whoever bids on it. If I did not already have an all matching 520-30 I would be a bidder. The front bayonet adapter looks correct in the 55k serial range it should not have an "s" and this one does not.