PDA

View Full Version : Hikes

Griff Murphey
07-28-2014, 04:43
Ever done a military hike? I did a total of three. My first one was with my college ROTC counter guerrilla unit in my freshman year. We went up the main road of Camp Bullis 15 miles. I committed the cardinal error of wearing brand new boots - jungle boots at that - proudly bought from the military store at the gates of Fort Sam. With the dawn, the cool water we had so eagerly slaked our thirst with in the moonlight proved to be full of cow paddies. Thank God for halizone.

We had several blister casualties and the prognosis for everyone to get back to our cars was in doubt. There were three guys who were athletes and they double timed back to the cars. Ignoring the "NO POVs PAST THIS POINT!" Sign they fired up three of the cars and hot rodded back out of there. Like circus clowns we crowded in and were saved.

Had another hike at Fort Sill, summer of '70, 15K with full equipment, not so bad, broken-in boots. Water was pretty slim in supply most of the time. There were two extra 2 quart canteens two of the guys carried, in addition to everyone having their two canteens these 4 quarts were our "squad reserve"

1975 and I am a Navy Lt dental officer with 1st BN 4th Marines and I get called into the new battalion comander's office, there will be a hike, and I am to take part. The fact that I already had patients scheduled cut no ice. The hike began about 7 am. The BN Co Lt. Col. was accompanied by the MAU (Marine Amphibious Unit) commander, a full bull who looked about 75 to me. They were stepping out at a much faster speed walk than 90 counts, and a longer stride. We had gone maybe four miles and I was falling behind. Marines who had gotten back from The Po ran past me to catch up with their units. Most carried no water. I had my two quarts.

Damn I was falling behind about the 5 mile mark. Here came the tail end, HM-2 Havens driving a gray USN IH Scout! He already had 4 or 5 fallen out Marines in the Scout. The intrepid battalion dental officer joined them.

Up and down in the Calayaan Housing area of Subic, we drove. After about 4 miles we crested out. Our XO Major "Iron" Mike McGowan halted the Scout and ordered everyone out as by that time we "...got a lot of sick people!" I am walking up toward the head of the column and one of the company commanders complimented me on not being a "non hacker!" I did not correct him. The MAU looked to be wilting in the heat. Everyone was out of water. Naturally I offered mine, which the MAU refused. Up runs a Marine yelling "WATER! WE GOT WATER AT THE REAR OF THE COLUMN!" "THANK GOD!" Says the MAU as he dumps the last precious ounce of water in his canteen over his head, and hands his empty canteen to the Marine.

I call on my ROTC experience and hold onto mine. A few minutes later the Marine and the empty canteens return, "I'm sorry, sirs, the water was all gone..."

I hear a senior officer mutter under his breath, "This is where I could make my reputation... By walking the MAU into the ground!"

We are heading back to the NEW ORLEANS now at a more sedate pace. I am now at the front of the column. A car screeches to a halt and out steps a brother Pershing Rifle counter guerrilla who was on that same 1967 Camp Bullis Army ROTC hike jumps out in his navy whites... He recognized me! Another Trinity University army ROTC guy who changed to the Navy after dental school, Dr. Craig Wright of San Antonio!

"Stay back, doc!" Cautions the company commander.... "You better not beat the MAU and BN CO back to the ship..."

My fatigues (ok UTILITIES!) were as wet as if you had pulled them out of a washer in the middle of the rinse cycle. With a "splat!" they hit my stateroom deck like Ensign Keith's khakis. My military hike career was over.

TomSudz
08-05-2014, 06:30
In basic we had a company commander who would strut up and down the company while we were on marches talking crap about how he's a big, bad, ranger and we were nothing. "Look at MY pack! It's FULL! You guys barely have half of a ruck! Stop being wussies! Pick up the pace! I'm carrying this HUGE pack and I could run if I wanted to!" And so on, the whole way. Well, me and two other guys have to clean the company offices, and who's office do we have to clean? Yep, the captain's. There's that HUGE rucksack leaned against the wall. Well, crap, somebody has to move it. I almost did a back flip when I lifted it! The thing was filled with packing peanuts and weighed about 9 pounds! The next time he walked by me on a march going on about how manly he was and how easy WE had it I asked, "You want to trade packs, sir?" A scowl was all I got, but it did quiet him down a bit.

Fred Pillot
08-07-2014, 02:34
My uncle was in the Philippines in WW2. He said he was in such good shape at the end of the war, he could have marched around the world with full gear on.

Michaelp
08-07-2014, 09:19
"Hike" along Cambodian Border 1968.

At least it wasn't raining.

Michael Tompkins
08-12-2014, 05:44
The only long-distance hike for me was a 15-mile forced-march in Basic. I was in pretty good shape from playing years of soccer and wasn't really worried about it. Our Drill made us carry our M16's at port arms the entire distance. If you got caught cheating in any way, you got yanked and dropped for 20. I couldn't feel my arms at the end of the march. Why he did that, I know not. It was murder on the arms! Mike