PDA

View Full Version : building a 22 rim fire rifle from a junker rolling block

RCS
07-28-2014, 04:21
My father bought this Remington rolling block that spent a long time in South America, he paid something like $9 for it from Hunters Lodge (also got some cartridges with it too). It sat in his basement for another 30 or 40 years until I got it.

The wood was dumped and the barrel was cut off at ten inches from the breech than bored out to half inch inside diameter. A 22 rim fire blank was turned down to half inch outside diameter for the last ten inches and glued inside the original barrel with a harden bushing at the rear. A rim fire extractor was made.

The receiver was squared up removing the half dovetail cuts and the lower tang was bent to
form a pistol grip. Rolling blocks have really bad triggers so a new trigger and sear was made and installed to give a very nice pull. The top of the hammer was cut off and a rim fire bushing installed in the breech block. The receiver was case colored in Cody WY.

A blank of Calif walnut was used to make the stock and fore-end, a Rem 513 steel buttplate was used. A early Lyman 438 scope was mounted on my scope blocks

Dave in NGA
07-29-2014, 09:06
A great project. The hard part seems to be finding a single shot action.

joem
07-29-2014, 12:42
Very nice. How does it shoot?

RCS
07-29-2014, 07:06
If it did not shoot well, I would have changed the barrel. The reason for using the rear section of the original Remington barrel was because of the large outside diameter, and a 1/2 inch liner works out for the first ten inches than to 3/4 inch O.D.

The bushing for the rim fire firing pin can be replaced with a center fire bushing and firing pin and another barrel

Photo shows wood before tung oil application

Emri
07-30-2014, 06:46
A great project. The hard part seems to be finding a single shot action.

I have a #4 RB in .32 rimfire if you are interested.

RCS
07-30-2014, 07:52
This Hi Wall action came out of Detroit still with the Winchester set triggers, the heavy Darr barrel in 32-40 came from Calif as did the breech seater, The nose pour mould is Hoch, scope is 24x