PDA

View Full Version : I've got this here M1 Carbine......

John HOLBROOK
07-27-2014, 05:04
As the story goes!!! Anyway, it is an Inland #70706, barrel dated 10-42. The barrel has a smooth blue finish, a perfect bore and appears to have the original finish as does the receiver. It has been through refit at some point but is a good looking Carbine.

My question is, is the barrel date compatible with the SN???? The barrel and the receiver finish sure match. Also the stock has an S HB stamped in the sling well... It shoots like a champ, which is what I bought it for many moons ago...

The only marking on the front sight is a small RIA stamp on the left side next to the cross pin. The rear sight which is adjustable and blued has an SA on the right side, also the upper hand guard is a 2 rivet...

Regards, John Holbrook

So anything you could tell me would be appreciated

Tuna
07-27-2014, 07:26
Yes the barrel is most likely original to the receiver. It would date to about late November 1942. It has been through a rebuild post war and that is when it was updated with the SA adjustable rear sight. The front sight was changed to one made by Rock Island and the stock is one made by Hillerich & Bradsby Co. for Standard Products. Check the bottom of the hand guard for any stampings there. All parts on carbines except for pins, springs and rods are stamped for who the part was made for and who made it. During rebuilding it was what ever parts were at hand that went back together and as a result one has quite a few possible combinations of sub-contractor parts. I know your addicted to .45 Colts John and you sure have quite a few beauties but be careful as the .30 carbines can sneak up on you and your hooked on them too. 11 makers with hundreds of sub-contractors make for very challenging collecting.

John HOLBROOK
07-27-2014, 08:08
Yes the barrel is most likely original to the receiver. It would date to about late November 1942. It has been through a rebuild post war and that is when it was updated with the SA adjustable rear sight. The front sight was changed to one made by Rock Island and the stock is one made by Hillerich & Bradsby Co. for Standard Products. Check the bottom of the hand guard for any stampings there. All parts on carbines except for pins, springs and rods are stamped for who the part was made for and who made it. During rebuilding it was what ever parts were at hand that went back together and as a result one has quite a few possible combinations of sub-contractor parts. I know your addicted to .45 Colts John and you sure have quite a few beauties but be careful as the .30 carbines can sneak up on you and your hooked on them too. 11 makers with hundreds of sub-contractors make for very challenging collecting.

That caution also applies to Colt Single Action Army .45s!!!! This Carbine is one that I have had around for years and I knew that it was a rebuild. The good news is that nobody has messed with it as all the screw heads are sharp. It sure shoots good!!!! A couple of years ago I stopped at a yard sale here in Missoula and asked the old lady if she had any guns or ammo.. She had two unopened cases of 1953 stamped .30 Carbine ammo in boxes in the basement plus a bunch of loaded mags plus a passel of full stripper clips that she had forgotten to put in the sale. I would be embarrassed to say what I paid for the whole bunch. Lets just say she was happy and so was I..... Here is a small part of he loot....

http://www.fototime.com/%7BD4E02B6B-647F-4C78-ACE4-711626FCDDFF%7D/origpict/DSC00261.JPG

Oyaji
07-27-2014, 09:27
Good to hear from you, John. Hope all is well in Montana.

SloopJohnB
08-01-2014, 03:58
Great find, John. You're lucky with more than just 1911's. I see!
Nice to hear from you, hope all is well.

Tom A
09-02-2014, 06:13
John, Every time I look at the 1944 Navy Ithaca I purchased from you a few years ago I think of what a gentleman you are, good to hear from you also. I also have a few M1 carbines that I enjoy.
Yours in collecting,
Tom A

sfdgunny
09-06-2014, 01:55
John,

I have S/N 91154 with an 11-42 barrel date which I believe is original. It is well worn, but has all the original parts except a swapped out flat, blued bolt. Also, someone bobbed the ears off the front sight, so I've replaced that. It has 2 extra holes in the under-side of the high-wood I-cut, IO stock where someone attached a sling swivel, and a screw hole in the sling well in the butt-stock. Found it at Granite Falls Hardware on Consignment several years ago and grabbed it up.
I believe they had a Du-Lite blued finish at that time. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Miss seeing you at the Puyallup, but I guess I haven't been very often either recently!
Take care, Jeff