PDA

View Full Version : New Zealand marked No 4

p246
07-26-2014, 06:40
Picked up my first New Zealand marked No 4. Long branch 15L serial number. By several of the N/Z stamps is another number. Its on wrist, bolt, magazine, and barrel. Did New Zealand assign their own serial numbers to their small arms.

JB White
07-26-2014, 08:13
Yes they did. It's not unusual at all to find a second series of serial numbers. We assume it was to streamline record keeping as they didn't arrive in a sequentially numbered batch.

Sunray
07-26-2014, 12:06
It have any indication as to where it was made? Lot of Long Branch rifles went to NZ.

JB White
07-26-2014, 12:26
First sentence in this thread gives us a clue:

Picked up my first New Zealand marked No 4. Long branch 15L serial number.

That narrows it down to either Nepal, the Belgian Congo,....or maybe Ontario! :)

p246
07-26-2014, 12:59
Thanks men, the gun appears to have been arsenal overhauled receiving a new barrel, O bolt, new finish then packed in Cosmo ang later surplused out. Guy I bought it from bought it from May woods Sports shop in Independence, Mo decades ago. It still has their sticker on the magazine. In pencil I can still see 21-26.24, I wished I paid $26.24 for it. I cleaned all the cosmo I could but the action was packed full and I'm still working on that.

Their are no FT or FTR marks, was that not the practice in NZ.