PDA

View Full Version : Carbine ejects to forehead

dek
07-25-2014, 06:15
What's the fix for a carbine that ejects consistently to the forehead?
Thanks

leftyo
07-25-2014, 07:17
id start with a new set of springs.

jimb
07-25-2014, 07:59
Try changing to a different type of ejector. There are 3 different types.

jimb
07-25-2014, 08:00
Try changing to a different type of ejector. There are 3 different types.

Ernie
07-25-2014, 08:13
I have fixed several of these that did that. You likely have an early straight cam operating rod. If you can find a angle cut (later production) that you can borrow from someone you will see that it will very likely fix your problem. Then with that info you can buy a angle cut one and not risk your money chasing other things that likely will not fix the problem.

Just my personal experience and I have done that with 3 of them. Can't say it will work for all but it sure was anoying getting donked on the forehead each time I shot. An older experienced friend told me to do that fix, and it worked for me.

Ernie
07-25-2014, 08:15
PM sent to you.
Ernie

dek
07-26-2014, 06:46
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I'll try them out and let you know what worked. Thanks again, Dennis

Richard H Brown Jr
07-26-2014, 07:36
A Helmet.

</end drum riff>

I''ll be here all decade, try the veal.

RHB

Tuna
07-26-2014, 08:33
As Jimb said most of the time the changing to a type 3 ejector is all that is needed. But if that doesn't work then change the slide to a type 5 and that along with the type 3 ejector should cure it from bouncing off your head.

dek
07-28-2014, 09:06
I don't have a type 3 ejector and did change the type 1 to type 2, with no change. I left the type 2 ejector in but did change to a new extractor and a type 5 slide. I'm going to the range this afternoon and will let you know if that works.

kcw
07-29-2014, 03:13
I don't have a type 3 ejector and did change the type 1 to type 2, with no change. I left the type 2 ejector in but did change to a new extractor and a type 5 slide. I'm going to the range this afternoon and will let you know if that works.

If the ejector and spring aren't somehow bound up inside the bolt (ie. compacted crud ect) it almost sounds like there's unusually tight fit between the bolt face & extractor to the point that the brass isn't being released until the bolt reaches its most rearward point of travel where there's enough of a "jarring" to cause the brass to release from the bolt face. Under pressure from the ejector, which is at the 6 o'clock position, the brass flies straight up from ejector pressure and then directly reward under the rearward momentum of the bolt travel. If this is the case, what's causing the brass to stick? Maybe a tooling mark on the inside rim of the bolt, opposite the extractor pressure? The extractor presses the brass rim into the tooling mark? Just an idea.

dek
08-01-2014, 09:42
It worked. The angle of ejection has changed. I do have a type 3 ejector coming and will try that with the old slide. If it works, the type 3 ejector's the answer. If not, then the need for the type 5 slide. Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. Much appreciated. Dennis

dek
08-04-2014, 05:19
Received the type 3 ejector (flat face) from Bill Ricca. Replaced the type 2 slide, original extractor and the type 3 ejector. Fired 15 rounds all of which ejected at 4-5 o'clock. No failures of any type. The type 3 ejector's the answer. Dennis

jimb
08-05-2014, 02:45
Well I do come up with a correct answer once in a while.*LOL*