PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for finishing birch M1 Carbine stock

GI-45
07-25-2014, 02:20
Hi guys. So I ended up buying one of those post-WW2 birch stocks that show up on eBay now and again. This particular stock was made by Springfield Armory, which I'm using with my Springfield Armory (Inc.) mixmaster parts gun. Any suggestions for what I should do to finish (or refinish) the stock? I'm not too fond of the blotchiness near the front of the stock; wondering if some tung oil or other varnish could help even things out. Not trying to make it look like walnut; just trying to make her a little more presentable. I've never done any serious wood finishing, so any suggestions you have would be appreciated.

Thanks!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/rhurst1945/WW2/83cad9a8-f125-4cff-a17f-9290f8698b90_zpsc4f5040e.jpg

Tuna
07-26-2014, 07:31
Typical of a birch stock to not take any stain very well. But I understand that if you use an alcohol based stain that it soaks in better and more uniformly too. Hopefully someone else here might have a good solution for you.

Sunray
07-26-2014, 12:04
Nothing will even out stain. Tung oil will give you a nice sheen when it's rubbed in properly though. Have a Plainfield with a birch stock that came out a nice honey blond colour. Partial to honey blonds, so I am.
Tung oil does have to go on after anything else. It soaks into the wood about 1/4" and keeps everything else out.

StockDoc
07-29-2014, 11:23
Try these : http://www.rockler.com/transtintreg-dyes Good stuff, they also sell a color wheel to help in the mixing of colors. You can use water, or lacquer for a faster drying tint. Birch is a hard wood to color, but can be done, with patience. Use Scotch Brite instead of steel wool.

DeWayne Hayes
08-01-2014, 07:48
For my part, I think that's a nice looking stock. Birch naturally soaks stain may more on end grain, which creates blotching issues. I wouldn't necessarily try to re-color the patterns Springfield got with their staining, just achieve the sheen level you want with tung/linseed/etc.

I used to deal with this issue with British Enfield furniture that was beech, which had the same issue. The only way I could get an even color was using a stain/varnish combo in a can (like Minwax but I can't remember the maker). Wipe on, let it soak, wipe off excess. The only problem was that because it's a pigment/finish in one, there's no oiling it later - it's pretty much sealed up. Additional oils don't penetrate. But it looked pretty good.

As I say, your stock looks nice as-is to me.

DeWayne

GI-45
08-14-2014, 09:56
Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

joem
08-14-2014, 11:56
I used Tung Oil on one of mine. It produced a even looking smooth finish but it seems pretty slick to try hold the forearm tight to the shoulder.

TSimonetti
08-19-2014, 12:04
You can partially mask the blotchy look with stain, but it is there to stay. That's the nature of birch in many instances, but I've seen some pretty amazing looking tiger-stripe birch that are blotchy in all the right places.

Yours will grow on you, I'm sure. Especially if you can hold the 10 ring with it on.

jimb
08-19-2014, 03:28
"Partial to honey blonds, so I am."
I'm partial to blonde honeys!

Tuna
08-19-2014, 06:33
And what would the Mrs. Jimb say if she knew you were out chasing blonde honeys you old goat.