PDA

View Full Version : Sgt york

snakehunter
07-24-2014, 12:53
Watched this movie yesterday. Starred Gary Cooper. Has anybody made a more recent version?

Col. Colt
07-24-2014, 12:44
Not that I have heard of - and, since the original was done with technical advice direct from Alvin York himself, anything newer would probably NOT be an improvement! They would have to kill all of the Religion, God and Country stuff, nowadays - and that is an integral part of his story, who he was and why he was. CC

ebeeby
07-24-2014, 02:05
M1917. I'm just sayin' :)

snakehunter
07-27-2014, 01:11
Watched this movie yesterday. Starred Gary Cooper. Has anybody made a more recent version?

Thanks for the replies.

tmark
07-27-2014, 06:33
I never tire of seeing it. I also read the book.

Col. Colt
07-29-2014, 02:29
Much of the story is about Alvin York's struggle with his concience, being a conciencious objector via his religion to killing. How he overcame that - and later how he refused to capitalize on it commercially when he could have made a lot of money - are about Character. Hollywood today would not know Character if it bit them in the arse....... And would be appalled at a man who turned down lots of money for ANY reason! CC

Michaelp
09-09-2014, 12:45
I believce a lot of his lack of wanting to capitalize came from a very limited world view.

He came from an area more isolated than many can appreciate and was a product of that.
Modern times was just beginning and had not really reached his area.

Both my Grandfathers did the same-one left the farm and the other left medical school.
One never even had a tractor until my dad came home from the 506th in 1946.

They all did their duty and went home. There is nothing wrong with that.

Until they killed the draft, we all had a 6 year obligation or "duty" which we were subject to.

Much the pity that concept was killed off.

tmark
09-14-2014, 07:38
I read the book on Alvin York. In the book he chastises Gary Cooper for smoking. Gary Cooper wrote Alvin a letter of apology. It's all in the book.

usmc69
09-15-2014, 05:19

Why would you want a remake? It is a great movie as it is, no remake needed.

PKelly
09-17-2014, 01:57
Several years ago a remake was in the works, with Barry Pepper in the title role. Apparently the studio heads decided that America didn't want another war movie so the project was shelved.

TomSudz
09-21-2014, 06:24
Why would you want a remake? It is a great movie as it is, no remake needed.

About the only thing that could be improved in a remake would be special effects. Sure, there are some technical details that could be improved on like having him use a 1911 instead of a Luger (the prop guys couldn't get the 1911 to cycle blanks), but other than better special effects it would be tough to beat the original film- the one SGT York was an adviser for.

tmark
09-21-2014, 07:43
And what actor could possibly replace Gary Cooper?

Rock
09-21-2014, 11:56
Intead of doing a Sgt York remake. They should make a movie about this:

Phantom Warrior: The Heroic True Story of Private John McKinney's One-Man Stand Against theJapanese in World War II

This is the story of John McKinney who received the Medal of Honor for his actions against a Japanese surprise attack. On May 11, 1945, McKinney returned fire on the Japanese attacking his unit, using every available weapon-even his fists-standing alone against wave after wave of dedicated Japanese soldiers. At the end, John McKinney was alive-with over forty Japanese bodies before him.

The M1 is praised in this book. A very good read.

http://www.amazon.com/Phantom-Warrior-Private-McKinneys-theJapanese/dp/0425227626

http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1348714977l/6636998.jpg

TomSudz
09-30-2014, 07:21
If somebody wanted to do a movie about a MOH recipient, York and Audie Murphy should be out of the running. What they should do is make a movie covering several recipients of the medal. I enjoy reading the citations of those who earned it and would love to see a film that could illustrate just how extraordinary their actions were.