PDA

View Full Version : Winchester m97 riot on gun broker

BOB IN AZ
07-23-2014, 04:26
Can someone look at gun broker auction #430343931 and let me know if the gun looks ok for a purchase. I don't see any stock markings and does the barrel length look right? It is hard to tell from one of the photos, but the serial number looks matching except that the last digit might be rubbed off some what. I have emailed the seller and I am waiting for an answer on the stock marking ( if any ) and the last number on the barrel. thanks BOB

Tom Doniphon
07-23-2014, 05:08
Bob, I think the barrel length is OK. And the barrel does have the early open flame Ordnance bomb which is common to the WWII M97 riot guns.

I don't see any stock cartouche either. The buttplate is obviously a replacement, but it could be an arsenal replacement because that is often the kind of replacement buttplate they used. Sometimes the arsenal doing the rework also proofed the gun and put a P proof mark on the underside of the wrist of the stock or on the flat bottom of the pistol grip. Ask to see if there is one there.

The finish doesn't look right. It's either oxidized or something like that, or the gun has been refinished.

07-23-2014, 08:32
Gun looks good , but stock has been replaced and looks like gun was refinished. I think if there was a proof mark the seller would have had a pic.

BOB IN AZ
07-23-2014, 09:15
Thanks to both for taking time to help me out here. I will follow up with the seller.