PDA

View Full Version : Hyde Park on the Hudson. - Bill Murray as FDR

Griff Murphey
07-21-2014, 04:32
The theme of the movie is about the visit of King George VI and Queen Elizabeth (the present Queen Elizabeth's parents) in 1939 hoping to lay the groundwork for U.S. support in World War Two. George VI was the stutterer King of the KING'S SPEECH movie, though not mentioned in the movie, he was a Royal Navy vet of the Battle of Jutland. However, the movie is a lot more about FDR's personal life and specifically, his hobby - sex. His 5th cousin Daisy Suckey was called to Hyde Park to visit and over time became intimate with the President, actually joining a string of three women, not his wife, who kept him happy.

It's the only time I have seen Bill Murray in a serious role, although the movie is classified as a comedy, it is really much more of a drama. I could find very little to criticize, I thought the Marines' hair was too short, and they needed brown shoes (yes, with their blues! Then) and the naval band appeared to consist of all officers?! The honor guard did have the correct 03's.

By the movie, George VI and FDR got along very well, in spite of some framed American cartoons from the war of 1812 which were uncomplimentary, and not liked. It's a well done little movie which was never popular, probably because there is too much history in it. It should appeal to a goodly number of the history buffs that hang out here. My local library has several copies, you shouldn't have to rent it.