PDA

View Full Version : Ode to Norm Ricci

MoMallard
07-09-2014, 07:42
I was sorting through my 30/06 brass, building loads for the Garand/Springfield match at Perry this year, when I came upon a forgotten cache of NM 1963 brass that I had purchased on Jouster from Norm Ricci several years ago. For those of you who remember Norm, he posted often on this and the 1903 forum. He was a WWII vet and a great man. I thanked him for the brass, and sent him pics of my first Garand purchase from North Store in 2005. He sent me the pics of his "first garand" in 1942, and also sent pics from when he shot the 1963 brass with his wife at Perry!! I decided to clean up that brass and shoot it at Perry in his memory, so that every round will speak to his name after 51 years. Godspeed Norm, we miss you.

Hip's Ax
07-10-2014, 03:29
Norm was a great guy and he taught me a lot over the years. I miss him. I'd have to look for the folder but he sent me quite a few photos as he use to live in NJ as I did and that photo he sent you of he and Joan at Camp Perry was accompanied by a few photos of the NJ State High Power Team of which he was a member. RIP my Friend.

Ken The Kanuck
07-10-2014, 06:35
I too miss Norm, but think of him whenever I bite into one of his and Joan's breakfast burritos they were kind enough to the recipie for.

KTK

bd1
07-10-2014, 07:34
I'm losing count of how many of our friends from the original board have moved on. I guess that's why I quit attending funerals. Good luck with your loads at Perry 2014.

kidsgun
07-10-2014, 08:40
Ken,
Please post Norm and Joan's breakfast burrito recipe. I (and others) would appreciate the opportunity to enjoy them.
Bill

PhillipM
07-10-2014, 10:49
I remember a pic of him and his motorcycle. I miss him too. Oh and I want the recipe too.

MoMallard
07-10-2014, 04:46
Norms Breakfast Burrito recipe:

http://www.jouster.com/forums/showthread.php?42461-Norm-Ricci-s-breakfast-burrito-s

RoninPhoenix
07-11-2014, 07:53
Norm was a personal friend. I should mention on here that Joan has also now passed away. After Norm's, I continued a process that he had asked me to start prior to his death. My memory is off a little now, but i think i took about 300pounds of scrap 50's brass to a recycler. He was an amazing packrat, and the place looked very similar to one you would see on the t.v. program about hoarding. Just almost unbelieveable. Norm had two medical issues, years and years of smoking, and his lungs were shot. Second was the rubber material between discs in his back were gone, and he was in tremendous pain. As to that picture of him on the motorcycle, i have the framed original. He was a very interesting individual, and both he and joan, as i stated were pretty good friends. When I started cleaning up his stuff, i found powder containers from the 60's where the powder had actually eaten it's way through the cans, turned reddish in color. It was an interesting project.
He and Joan both had good hearts and are missed for sure. But his memory does live on, and i do have a bunch of that brass. Including national match 7.62. I just finished reloading some of that last summer, for similar reasons, and it and he lives on in a way. I don't think he EVER threw anything away. Unfortunately, Joan's garand was sold before I got envolved.
I do have a number of pictures of him. One distinct memory i have when I started to clean the place up, was walking into the kitchen and finding an aircraft bomb under the kitchen table, with a screw on head on the projectile. Okay, it was removed pretty carefully and found to be inert. That wasn't always true with some of the stuff. What I think most people would not have known, in addition to hi power, he shot everything, .22's being one of his favorites. He also won quite a few matches with black powder 19th century target rifles. He was also a bullet caster at one time..