PDA

View Full Version : Pinging new member

Dick Hosmer
07-06-2014, 11:40
To new user "colreed":

In response to your private message, I'll try to help.

I'd suggest you email me at richardahosmer@comcast.net - this messaging protocol leaves a LOT to be desired.
I'd also suggest you visit my web page www.picturetrail.com/sa4570af, paying particular attention to 527686, which is what you have.
With all due respect to you personally, but little to none for the source, where in hell did you read that drivel?
1. DEAD wrong (assuming you are confusing the "lockplate" (on the side) with the hinged trapdoor breechblock (on the top). If the lockplate (where the hammer mounts) actually has 1884 it is wrong and was NOT made at SA, but the rest of the rifle was.
2. DEAD wrong
3. True, but your rifle wasn't made in 1884, and the date was not changed annually.
4. No standard rifles were produced in 1892, they were all rod bayonets.
5. Numbers quoted do not make sense? Nearly all rifle production in 1885 and 1886 was standard models (with cleaning rods - often incorrectly called ramrods) but they did make about 1000 M1884 Experimental rod-bayonet rifles (see my 318991) spanning the calendar year change (500/500 roughly)
6. See (1) unless you really mean the lockplate (on the side) there is no anomaly at all. Ahh, I see that you did (since you refer to a "sideplate") confuse the part names
No, you do not have the rare one! But, you also have NO mystery whatsoever, at all, period.
I cannot open your link.

Best,

Dick

Rick B
07-07-2014, 06:42
I feel really bad as I sent a guy over to this page to get help from you and I think this was him. http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=141611 Personally if you are going to get upset when someone is looking for help I will not send them to you and very sorry for the inconvenience. I am flooded everyday with people asking for help or work and treat all as if they are new. If they continue to argue with me or push me then I may get upset with them but only then.

Maybe I am wrong Dick but I am reading this post as if you are upset with someone learning the hobby and since they are not as knowledgeable as you that they are bothering you. I hope I am wrong but the way you typed it out sure looked like it. I hope I am wrong. Rick B

Dick Hosmer
07-07-2014, 07:37
Rick (and "colreed" too - who i hope sees this)

In this case you are wrong, but I'm sorry you are concerned, and I will take the steps to respond to the gentleman personally, through the channel selected.

You evidently do not know me very well - I have been bending over backwards to help people here 24/7 for way more than ten years. I had NO problem whatsoever with the person or the content of his message, period. In fact, I really enjoy answering such requests. I'm sorry there are not more of them - I'm afraid the circle of interest is growing smaller and smaller.

What I do NOT like, at all, is the (to me) useless vastly over-managed and over-complicated notification system! His non-working picture link was the icing on the cake. Fortunately, he was so clear in his text that I was able to answer him anyhow.

I'm sorry that my frustration showed, it was nearly midnite, after a long day of work in 103 temp, and I am, after all, 76 years old!

Did you actually see the (lengthy but very friendly) message he sent me? If you didn't, how can you fairly judge my response? He sent a numbered list (with some unbelievably wrong info - which is why I asked where he got it) to which I made specific answers.

I was not, am not, and never will be, "upset" with people who happen to know less than I.

BTW, if I am "upset" with someone, I don't close my message with "Best, Dick" - that should have been a clue right there that I wasn't unhappy with him. Ooops, given the vagaries of our wonderful English language, I guess I must now and forever be concerned that any message not so closed might infer that I was angry. Arrrrggghhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Best,

Dick

p.s. I am still interested in trading some parts, stock work, etc., but I'm afraid it will be a back-burner issue. I was consumed with finishing the book. Now that is behind me I have to catch up on what I didn't do while involved with it.

Doug Rammel
07-07-2014, 09:23
Dick

When I read Rick post, I had to reread your original post to see what I had missed. I thought your answer was very polite.
Keep up the excellent work. I am looking forward to getting a copy of your book.:D

Doug

Dan Shapiro
07-07-2014, 02:24
I'm with Dick on this one. He even put out his private email for direct communication.

Rick B
07-07-2014, 04:54
I apologize for taking it wrong and happy to hear. Holler when you are ready to work on the trade. I am busy as heck now with summer here and so much stock work. 3 year till I retire than I will finally be able to work more at home and at a better pace. Rick B

mannparks
07-08-2014, 05:59
I'm so glad everyone is back on good terms.
Some times it's hard to convey our thoughts on type.
Not like being fase to fase.

Charles