PDA

View Full Version : brass ejection

remus
07-02-2014, 01:08
I have an SP-1 and I am a lefty. The ejection pattern of this rifle causes brass to hit me on the cheek when I shoot it. I've heard of the ejector being filed down to cause the brass to eject more to the side than to the rear.

Anybody know anything about this? How much to file? Replace parts?

Thanks

High Plaines Doug r
07-02-2014, 07:32
I had the opposite problem of brass being ejected forward of the firing line (as I don't shoot lefty). I corrected that by installing a new ejector spring after 4000 rounds. Put them right at my 4:00, easy to spot and pick up instead of in the grass forward of the line.
I would suggest you toy with clipping the ejector spring one coil at a time until you get close to what you are looking for. My experience is that the less spring; the more forward the ejection.

Oh, and save a new spring for yourself, should you want to start over.

PhillipM
07-02-2014, 07:55
I have an SP-1 and I am a lefty. The ejection pattern of this rifle causes brass to hit me on the cheek when I shoot it. I've heard of the ejector being filed down to cause the brass to eject more to the side than to the rear.

Anybody know anything about this? How much to file? Replace parts?

Thanks

In my very brief military career, they installed a plastic brass catcher that snapped in place in the carry handle hole. My A2 upper throws brass at 2:30 but it has the brass deflector bump just in case.

Andouille
07-02-2014, 07:56
Alternatively, clip on brass deflector here:

http://www.johnmasen.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=J&Product_Code=1593&Category_Code=AA

You will need to specify "A1" for the SP1.

However, a lefty friend has had great luck adjusting ejection pattern by clipping the ejector spring a coil at a time, as indicated by Doug above.

remus
07-03-2014, 04:51
Well I finally manned up and pulled the ejector and ground it about .030 and stuck it back in. The rifle now throws the brass between 2 and 3 o clock and two to three feet to the side. It isn't hard to get the ejector out or back in. The grinding was nerve wracking for me as I didn't want to take off too much metal. It works well now, and I'm happy with it. That brass in the face(right cheek) was getting a little nerve wracking.

broom jockey
07-04-2014, 12:28
Good to hear you found the solution. I was gonna recommend a face mask like people wear to grind metal. *-)

remus
07-05-2014, 02:23
Well Broom, I did wear goggles while grinding off my little bit of metal. I'm happy it worked too. When they hit me on the cheek, they were at least hot. Once one of them did a complete flip and the mouth of the cartridge got me. Kind of like knocking a divot out of a golf course. Now that was bothersome. No matter what kind of handgun or long gun one shoots he should wear eye protection. Grinders too.