PDA

View Full Version : New toy 73 Auto-5

PhillipM
07-02-2014, 10:50
I ran into a guy that had this shotgun passed down to him along with 130 others and as he simply had no place to keep them so he has to thin the heard. Unfortunately many of the 130 are rusty because after his grandfather died, his grandmother put them out back in a shed! :( I hope to get out there an inspect the rest one day. I feel like I bought a "rescue" shotgun.

It's a nice light twelve, had a little light rust I was able to oil and fine steel wool away. I love the speed loading feature, my earlier A5 didn't have it or the vent rib barrel. As with most of the A5's I've taken apart, the friction ring and steel washer were set up wrong, he had the flat of the washer against the receiver.

http://i39.servimg.com/u/f39/15/55/99/36/73_bro10.jpg

joem
07-02-2014, 02:26
Still looks real good. Perhaps you can get to the others before their junk. Real shame to store them in a shed.

PhillipM
07-02-2014, 07:57
Still looks real good. Perhaps you can get to the others before their junk. Real shame to store them in a shed.

This one and a few others were stored in the house, I got lucky. I think I'll cry if I ever go to the shed.

jjrothWA
07-10-2014, 06:20
Use turpentine to soak and then brush off with BRONZE wool {from marine store or wood working shop}.

da gimp
07-20-2014, 08:45
Phil, from what I can see, it looks fine.......... I think you already know not to, but just in case, unless you pull both the buttstock & forestock first ,do not use turpentine on the receiver..................glad you were able to save her............ how's she choked? Oughta make a dandy lil dove & quail gun..

Griff Murphey
07-24-2014, 08:31
The family I bought my pretty Krag from had done the same thing. The late lamented husband had a play house out back... I am almost thinking it may originally have been built for his kids. Packed full of his sporting stuff, fishing gear and guns.... All of the guns had some rust, some had a lot. I brought cleaning gear, tried to grossly debride and clean them up as best I could. I was overwhelmed. Was handed a revolver fully loaded. Ordinary windows and door locks, only. Crazy.

PhillipM
07-29-2014, 08:04
Phil, from what I can see, it looks fine.......... I think you already know not to, but just in case, unless you pull both the buttstock & forestock first ,do not use turpentine on the receiver..................glad you were able to save her............ how's she choked? Oughta make a dandy lil dove & quail gun..

Modified with vent rib. I hope to get in on a good dove field this year. Thanks, George.