PDA

View Full Version : question on preserving old cardboard ammo boxes

p246
06-24-2014, 02:29
Have been collecting old ammo cardboard boxes and some shells for a couple years. I've been wrapping a few lately in clear plastic wrap. Is there a better way to preserve the cardboard that does not break the bank. Thanks in advance.

joem
06-24-2014, 02:44
Hard to preseve any paper or cardboard. Most of it is acid washed and in time deteriorates anyway. I guess keep it out of the sun and light and cools as best you can.

Tuna
06-24-2014, 06:14
The plastic wrap is about as good as one can do to try a preserve the boxes next to vacuum sealing in plastic.

Johnny P
06-28-2014, 08:08
I have some that have been in plastic wrap for years and they haven't changed. Opening and closing the boxes probably puts more wear and tear on them than anything else. Most framing shops have shrink wrap plastic that is easier to use than Saran wrap as it is slightly heavier, and it can be shrunk with a hair dryer.

p246
06-29-2014, 06:21
Thanks for the tips. Saran wrap has been working but bulky. The framing shop stuff sounds promising.

dave
06-29-2014, 06:27
I have a small collection and I spray them with clear laquer. Yeh, yeh I know---reduces value, darkens color a little, etc. etc. But I am not going to sell them and they are for my own enjoyment and they are not worth a fortune anyway, never would be!

CptEnglehorn
07-03-2014, 11:23
ray giles recommended a food grade shrink wrap thats not acidic, ill see if I can find my notes on it. Ive upgraded to better plastic than saran wrap, apparently it has things in it that will eat the label and ink.

Dick Hosmer
07-13-2014, 10:53
Personally, I like Saran, or similar, but don't buy the cheap house brand stuff!

Saran seems to be elastic enought to get a good tight stretch. With care, patience, and a lot of 3M tape bits, you can get the face perfect, the long sides pretty damn good, and the ends at least acceptable. The back of course, winds up a spider web of diagonal tensioning tape patches! But, no one has to see that.