PDA

View Full Version : IBM Stock or Standard Products

Smokeeaterpilot
06-24-2014, 01:44
Hey guys,

Looking at a posisble M1 Carbine stock for my IBM restoration. It's marked JL-B in the sling well, but right in front of that it's got the Standard Products stamp. It's a gorgeous stock but the SP throws me off. I thought JL'B was for IBM contacts?

Any help would be appreciated.

GeorgeP
06-24-2014, 03:42
Standard Products had a contract to rebuild carbines post war. You will see carbine of all makers with this mark. The stock will not be correct for restoration to WW II specs.

Tuna
06-24-2014, 06:11
While the Jamestown lounge stock is correct for IBM, as George said it would not be right for a WW2 restoration. The SP stamp dates to about 1948 when the carbine the stock was on at the time went through a rebuild.

Smokeeaterpilot
06-24-2014, 07:09
One of the nice things about M1 Carbines is that all matching is not the same as "as left the factory" are there any high wood stocks that were subcontracted out for IBM during their early years?

Thanks for the help.

Tuna
06-25-2014, 08:55
IBM did not make any of their owns stocks. All were sub-contracted out and at least six companies made stocks for them. Of them five made high wood stocks. Only Rock-Ola made the type 1 stock with almost 20,000 of those made. Lumb Woodworking LW-B, Jamestown Lounge JL-B, Milton Bradley BR-B and Sprague & Carleton SC-B all made the type 2 stock.

GeorgeP
06-26-2014, 09:22
So, I am interested in where you are going with this. It is really not a restoration, but the desire to get all IBM parts back in the carbine? I have been there and done that, as well as complete back to as it left the factory configuration. Has the carbine been though a rebuild with all late features? It is very hard to accurately match patina and wear patterns. I have been collecting a long time and am now in the camp that says most carbines should just be left as they are . Stock changes are easy and can make a big difference though.

Smokeeaterpilot
06-27-2014, 03:00
It's been a project I've been toying with for the past couple of years. It's an IBM with AO receiver in a lowwood stock (unmarked). Currently I have found a correct IBM highwood (but not great condition so I may sell it and look for another one). Found an IBM flat bolt that matches well enough. Swapped out barrels for a IBM barrel. I picked it up for like $530 and only have about 700-800 so I should be able to get my money's worth out of it (even as a put together gun). We'll see.