PDA

View Full Version : "FREEBORE" question on 21" T/C barrels???

jjrothWA
06-23-2014, 07:37
Have a 21" T/C barrel in 30/30, working up loads using the Sierra 156gr HPBT for Deer & Bear in MI, using info from Sierras' ballistic techs..

Trying to seat bullet on the lands but seem to have a long free-bore, can someone confirm??
Thanks.

Jim in Salt Lake
06-24-2014, 01:23
Have you measured your chamber length yet? Hornady sells a gauge, the old Stony Point gauge. I've also used a bullet and an empty unprimed case by barely starting the bullet in the case and then forcing the case into the chamber and closing the action. After that, open the action and tap out the bullet/case from the muzzle end with a cleaning rod. It's easier with a bolt action, you may be pushing pretty hard without the bolt's mechanical action to help.

Also had a thought that the chamber may have been cut with traditional bullets for the .30-30, flat nose or round nose. If you're using spitzer bullets with a slimmer ogive, your chamber may seem long. I don't have actual experience with a T/C .30-30 barrel, though.

joem
06-24-2014, 05:56
Recommend you buy the gauge and note that you may build high pressure with the bullet touching the lands. Be careful!

Johnny P
06-24-2014, 06:19
Really nothing to be gained that you would ever noticed in hunting situations, and as noted above you will spike up the pressure by seating against the lands.

MK111
07-03-2014, 01:53
From my old SIL shooting days with TC's. We found no 2 TC Contender pistol barrels in the same caliber had the same freebore measurement. It was a hit or miss deal. TC at that time had no handle what so ever on their chambering depth. But all barrels did shoot very well.