PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for books on IHC Factory production?

cplnorton
06-23-2014, 05:42
I was curious if you guys know about any books that describe the factory at IHC in any detail? I'm basically looking for anything that talks about production.

I'm doing research for an article I'm writing on IHC Garands, and it is something I do not know as well as WWII.

And I do know about Wayne's book, but I've already talked to him and it will be a little while still.

Thanks in advance.

The Wizard
06-24-2014, 07:16
I know of an article that appeared in the March/April 1954 issue IH Today (I believe this was an in house magazine) entitled "The Garand Rifle". Unfortunately, I do not have a copy of the article. You might try contacting Navistar International and ask if they have a copy in their archives.

JBinIll
06-24-2014, 07:58
The IHC archives are in the Wisconsin Historical Societies collections-

http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/Content.aspx?dsNav=N:1167

They do have a copy of the magazine The Wizard referenced-

http://content.wisconsinhistory.org/cdm/compoundobject/collection/ihc/id/38137/rec/5

cplnorton
06-24-2014, 10:37
Man that is awesome! Thanks guys!

PhillipM
06-24-2014, 12:00
ihcfan55 is supposed to have a good book in the works, but as I understand it, life got in the way.

http://www.jouster.com/forums/showthread.php?34286-IHC-book-signed-with-publisher-today.

PhillipM
06-24-2014, 12:23
Also look here.

http://www.jouster.com/forums/showthread.php?21240-Ihc

cplnorton
06-24-2014, 02:41
Phillip thank you, that is a lot of good info! :)

That is exactly the kind of info I need!

06-25-2014, 02:24
Yes, that article has a lot of interesting information but keep in mind, it is from 1998. As Eagle One said:
"PLEASE NOTE I USED "OCCASIONALLY" AND "USUALLY" A LOT AND ATTRIBUTED MUCH OF THE INFORMATION TO "CONVENTIONAL WISDOM" -

("CONVENTIONAL WISDOM" USUALLY TRANSLATES TO "SEA STORIES"). I'D SURE LIKE TO GET MY HANDS ON THE RECORDS OF IHC AND TALK TO A BUNCH OF THE OLDTIMERS WHO WERE THERE DURING THE PRODUCTION DAYS."

Some of this information has stood the test of time and some has not. I would check with Eagle One, a/k/a RollingThunder on CMP Forum, before using some of this information in any new article. You can also find a number of IHC articles written by Eagle One in back issues of the GCA Journals.
Good luck with your article Steve. Looking forward to reading it in a future issue of the GCA Journal.

PhillipM
06-25-2014, 03:21
Yes, that article has a lot of interesting information but keep in mind, it is from 1998. As Eagle One said:
"PLEASE NOTE I USED "OCCASIONALLY" AND "USUALLY" A LOT AND ATTRIBUTED MUCH OF THE INFORMATION TO "CONVENTIONAL WISDOM" -

("CONVENTIONAL WISDOM" USUALLY TRANSLATES TO "SEA STORIES"). I'D SURE LIKE TO GET MY HANDS ON THE RECORDS OF IHC AND TALK TO A BUNCH OF THE OLDTIMERS WHO WERE THERE DURING THE PRODUCTION DAYS."

Some of this information has stood the test of time and some has not. I would check with Eagle One, a/k/a RollingThunder on CMP Forum, before using some of this information in any new article. You can also find a number of IHC articles written by Eagle One in back issues of the GCA Journals.
Good luck with your article Steve. Looking forward to reading it in a future issue of the GCA Journal.

Eagle one didn't say that, Dick Culver did.

06-25-2014, 05:46
You are correct Phil I stand corrected but, regardless of who said it, my point is that it is information that is now over 15 years old and MAY not still be all correct. As an example, where Eagle One says "3. I believe the same holds true for the stocks IHC contracted for from Overton (OR) and Hillerich & Bradsby (HR). These stocks were also produced and stockpiled by the thousands before IHC ever produced an acceptable rifle. How could IHC be short of stocks?"
Some might interpret this to mean that Hillerich & Bradsby made stocks for IHC. Some time latter Eagle One cleared that up and stated that he had found an archive document that stated that Hillerich & Bradsby supplied blanks for IHC stocks. H&B did not make stocks.
On the other hand, the article contains a lot of information and is quite interesting. I had copied it some time ago and still often refer to it. All I am saying is don't take everything in the article as gospel.

PhillipM
06-25-2014, 07:05
I should have said I agree that it's 15 year old research when I replied, you are quite correct that more facts have come out since then.