PDA

View Full Version : Information on Yugoslavian 8mm needed. Please help.

curio and relic
06-22-2014, 04:27
I have a quantity of 8mm ammunition that I have questions about. Some of it dates from WW-2 and is German (may well have been made in Yugoslavia) The other rounds have a backwards N and K with a 1971 date. The primer pocket and nose of the bullet are green in color. I believe that this could be tracer ammunition. Is it safe to use in a Yugo K-98 Mauser? Thanks in advance.

joem
06-23-2014, 05:30
Use at your own risk. No one know how the ammo was stored. I once bought a case of 1937 german 8 mm for salvage. The powder was bad and was outgasing badly enough to force the bullet out of the case after breaking the pitch seal. I reloaded the bullets with my powder and cases.

Art
06-23-2014, 02:10
It's probably all "safe." It is also all corrosive and corrosive ammo with tracer bullets are even harder on barrels. I might shoot the 1971 ammo, depending on what it looked and smelled like, and clean promptly with soapy water. I've shot Yugo ammo as old as 1955 with good results. Any WW II ammo I'd pull the bullets, ditch the cases and powder, and use the salvaged bullets in reloads. Just my devalued $.02.

curio and relic
06-23-2014, 06:00
Thanks Fellas!