PDA

View Full Version : Primers going in sideways

sid
06-21-2014, 01:08
I hope someone can help me with this. I do batch loading with my Lee Classic Turret Press and have loaded many thousands of cartridges with it. Now I have encountered a problem I have never had before. I was sizing and priming a batch of .32 ACP cases. I size the case on the downstroke of the handle and seat the primer on the upstroke. I always make sure the primer is properly seated in the primer cup. This time many of the primers would not seat and were going in sideways.
TIA

joem
06-21-2014, 02:25
I have that problem once in a while with my Lee Auto Prime. It could be the primers themselves or perhaps the cup is slightly worn. I bet on the primers. I've pulled down some ammo with the primers in upside down. I carefully removed the primer and placed it in the Lee auto prime. The primer somehow flipped over and went in upside down. Tried it six times and the results are the same each time.

RED
06-21-2014, 06:15
That is a common problem with that set up. I use a Lee auto prime (I have had it at least 20 years) and you can see the primers before they get to the primer cup. I tried the popular Dillon 550B. I found it to produce reverse primers, it was difficult to spot damaged/split cases and I produced way more sub standard rounds than I did with my old RCBS Rock Chucker. I would tumble, then size, and deprime, on the RCBS, and prime with the Auto Prime , mounted on a $18 Lee press.

Too slow for you guys that shoot 1,000 rounds a week... but it is fine when I fabricate 25 rounds of 8X57 for deer season. I have not had a FTF, or a split or head separation in over 25 years.

DaveL
06-22-2014, 07:42
The only time I have had this type of problem is when the priming tool had some sort of crud in it. Have you given your tool a good cleaning?

mikld
06-22-2014, 09:49
Sounds like you're using the primer arm attachment (I also use this on occasion). It's pretty straightforward, the primer needs to be sitting straight in the cup before inserting...

joem
06-22-2014, 03:45
I do clean my primer tool as needed. I may remove a few more of these up side down primers and try my RCBS bench Primer.

Major Tom
06-23-2014, 07:29
I use the same setup as you. I did not like the primer setup, so eleminated it, and now use a hand primer (also by Lee). I also disconnected the auto system that turns the turret.

Sunray
06-23-2014, 12:20
A .32 ACP is pretty small to start with, but you're likely trying to re-prime too fast. Shaking the thing will cause the primers to move on you.

emmagee1917
06-24-2014, 09:39
I now seat primers with an RCBS hand primer tool , before that with a Lee hand primer , and before that with the factory installed RCBS arm on my Reloader Special. The only time it would flip primers was when something would snag the little spring loaded cup briefly , then release it . It poping back up would turn the primer on end or up-side-down . Your " hole" may be clear , but crud may be forcing your case holder a bit out of line.
Chris

jimb
06-24-2014, 04:38
I agree. The shell holder may be dirty or out of line. That could cause the primer to flip trying to align itself with the primer pocket. It can also cause them to go in sideways esulting in a crushed primer.