PDA

View Full Version : Cartouche Question OGEK

Smokeeaterpilot
06-20-2014, 04:47
Hey Guys,

Buddy of mine was looking at a 1917 Rifle, sent me a picture of the cartouche. I want to make sure I'm giving him correct information as I remember it. I don't want to lead him down the wrong path.

It's a 1917 Rifle (don't know if it's Eddystone, Remington or Winchester) but it's stamped on the right side of the stock (upside down) [boxed] "O.G.E.K." From what I remember it is the cartouche of Elmer Keith who served as an inspector in Utah. Now I know he probably inspected tens of thousands of rifles. But from what I remember, that is a sought after cartouche because if he didn't inspect it, it was just stamped "OG" or "[unboxed] OGEK" for either Ogden Arsenal or Ogden Arsenal Ed Klouser. Nothing was mentioned in Ian Skennertons US Enfield book that I could find quickly.

Am I getting this stamp mixed up with another is it not as sought after as I remember? I didn't get any pictures other than the cartouche he said it was in good condition. I've seen them all the time but sometimes not in great shape. He's gonna go back this weekend and take some more pictures. I told him if it's in great shape I'd take it if he didn't want it. I love the 1917s.

Any idea on value? It's priced as your usual 1917 rifle. Wasn't sure how much that adds to the value.

Liam
06-20-2014, 05:11
"O.G.E.K." with dots is Elmer, "OGEK" sans dots is Ed. Search the forum and you will find my same inquiry from 4 or 5 years ago. A box plays into this in some fashion, but I can't recall. Lost a great deal of grey matter in the last 4 or 5 yrs.

Liam
06-20-2014, 05:15
From our own John Beard via CMP forum: "...Elmer Keith did indeed work for the Ordnance Dept. and inspected large numbers of M1917 rifles at Ogden, Utah, Arsenal during WWII.

Elmer Keith's inspection stamp was "O.G.E.K." enclosed in a rectangle."

Smokeeaterpilot
06-20-2014, 06:02
Does this increase the value? If so by how much and are they more desirable?

Liam
06-21-2014, 03:44
Depends on the individual. For me - not a serious collector - merely an interesting bit of minutiae. For someone else, however, the inspector marks may hold significant value. Rarity, of course, plays into this. I haven't looked over very many display tables as compared with some folks posting on this forum, but even I have seen quite a few O.G.E.K. in box stamps. I do not think it is considered "rare." Perhaps "desirable."

madsenshooter
06-21-2014, 01:20
It only increases the value if the buyer happens to be an Elmer Keith fan, and, has read "Hell I was there"!

RCS
06-22-2014, 06:03
Here is example on a 1942 Winchester M1 rifle stock

chuckindenver
06-22-2014, 07:01
2 OGEKs..
in the box is Elmer, no box, is Ed