PDA

View Full Version : New to Arisaka

6booker
06-20-2014, 04:35
I have just got in to collecting ww2 guns. Found a Arisaka on eBay did not last long before eBay pulled the listing but I saved the seller before they did so I emailed him and perched this gun for $250 trying to find info on it, no cleaning rod, has sling, and dust cover. the story I am being told is that it has been in storage scene his great gran father sent it home and with the dust build up on it and in the barrel it has been sitting around a long time. I know it is a type 99 but that's all I know so far. I will post pic. The monopod is bent bad I was going to try to straighten it but decided not to because I did not know if it happened in the war. Scaro sell's a replacement so I was going to buy one. Anything you can tell me will be appreciated.

6booker
06-20-2014, 04:51
More pic's

SMOKEY
06-20-2014, 05:26
Seek out Guamsst.

Deano41
06-20-2014, 10:38
It is a Toyo Juki Kogyo arsenal. The series number is blurred, so I can't tell which it is. That arsenal only made series 37 and 27. If it has the AA sights, then it would be a series 37 made from III 1942 to IV of 1943. (Each series was 100,000 rifles, and the serial number was repeated in each series. If that is the complete number (you haven't blocked out part of the number) then it would be closer to 1942.

Do the three numbers on the bolt root match the last three of the serial number? The back of the dust cover should have the same three numbers.

If it's all matching, plus the original monopod and Mum present, you got a VERY good deal!

Don't sand or clean the stock with harsh chemicals. Keep everything in original finish (you can clean the metal with oil and 0000 steel or bronze wool.

Here is a website with more details. http://www.gunboards.com/sites/banzai/DataSheets/M99/M99Data.htm#Model_99

Nice find!

Deano41
06-20-2014, 10:59
The monopod has been bent backward from it's vertical extended position. (It was folded down, then bent bent backwards) It needs to be folded forward, then the legs straightened so that the "foot" rests over the rear of the front band, and the "legs" are parallel to the stock. I would think you could do a fairly good job of straightening it.

I'm not too sure about the sling. It has too many holes in it. (People are known to put Swede slings on these, and pass them off as original. The Swede slings were designed the same way, but have too many adjustment holes. ( Always buy the gun, not the "story")

You can find original cleaning rods, but they are pricey. And, to be correct, would have to have the correct proof marks on it (Replacing parts without the correct arsenal proofs would be sort of like putting Oldsmobile taillight caps on a '53 Ford tail light [Now why would I know that :>) ]

psteinmayer
06-21-2014, 06:09
Looks like an amazing purchase! +1 on what Deano said. I'd be interested in how it shoots, that's if you decide to shoot it.

6booker
06-21-2014, 12:37
The bolt is number matching, the dust cover has no number but there is 2 arsenal mark's or inspection mark's that looks the same, but has rust damage on it , the sling has 10 holes in it for the buckle it has a mark on it that looks kind of like a bow tie or hour glass. I will try to find a better camera and post better pic. should I try to straighten the monopod or put it up and get a replacement, The person I got it from is trying to find the pictures of the gun with his great gran father I hope he find them. Here is some pic's he send me before I drove from panama city fl. to Atalanta Ga. to get it. Thank for all the info you are giving me

Deano41
06-21-2014, 02:26
That rust will clean right up with some Kroil and 0000 steel or bronze wool. I would try and straighten the monopod. Like I said, someone dropped the monopod down in it's bracket, then bent the legs backward. Fold the monopod back to it's "folded position", then straighten the legs so they are parallel to the stock. There will probably be slight indentations of the "foot" of the monopod in the wood behind the front band. If you can find a picture of a rifle with the monopod, you can get an idea of how they are supposed to look.
(The reason I keep harping on saving the original monopod is because it enhances the value of the rifle)
Whoever bent the monopod backwards like that either didn't know how it is supposed to fit, or was just dumb.

Found one monopod picture that might help/
http://search.yahoo.com/search?ei=utf-8&fr=aaplw&p=type+99+japanese+rifle+monopod

6booker
06-21-2014, 04:29
I know I can straighten the monopod and make it look good, how about the sling it is about 43 in. long x 1 5/16 wide has 10 holes for buckle how can I tell if it is jap or not?

Deano41
06-21-2014, 06:26
Maybe this web site can help on the sling.

http://www.rollanet.org/~stacyw/Jap_T99_Sling_thumbnail_version.htm

6booker
06-22-2014, 06:13
What is a fare value on this gun? I need to add it to my insurance.

Deano41
06-22-2014, 06:25
I 'd ask GuamSST. He does gun shows, and I'm sure has more experience than I in pricing things. You can also look at comparable items on gunbroker.com and see what they are going for ( although many of those vendors don't really know what they have [ you now have more information than many of them]).

6booker
06-23-2014, 09:10
Here is a link to a sling on eBay he clams it is {guaranteed original WWII Japanese Type 99 Arisaka rifle leather sling} it looks just like the one I have. http://www.ebay.com/itm/WWII-JAPANESE-TYPE-99-ARISAKA-RIFLE-LEATHER-SLING-GUARANTEED-ORIGINAL-/201104841542?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ed2c85b46

Deano41
06-23-2014, 10:28
That vendor is known on one website, http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdisplay.php?52-Firearms-Of-The-Rising-Sun, as "the grey blanket seller". He seems to obtain very high prices for the items he sells.

Your sling may be legit. That's why I posted the "sling website", so you would know what to look for.

I don't guestimate values. I'm always wrong.

Your rifle, all matching, original monopod, not ground (mum), original sling, is worth much more than you paid.
(I purposely didn't mention the dust cover, because I'm not sure. If it had the same last three of the serial number on the back of it, there would be no doubt.)

6booker
06-23-2014, 11:37
like I said I am new to Arisaka's and I have a problem of researching thing to death like I did when I got my first Mosin Nagant, Spanish Mauser, French mas. and others guns I have found. There is just not as much about the history of the Arisaka out there like they are for the others guns. I have found this website http://www.gunboards.com/sites/banzai/DataSheets/M99/M99Data.htm#Model_99 that wants you to fill out a Data sheet for your gun. I am still looking over that site So that is I am asking and I thank you a lot for helping me Deano41! I messaged Guamsst but have not herd from him yet, But thank again this forum seems to have more info then most that is why I joined

Deano41
06-23-2014, 12:30
There are a number of books on Japanese firearms. " Military Rifles Of Japan" by Honeycutt is available on Amazon, and is very good. I posted the banzai website/ type 99 rifle/ mainly so you could identify which rifle you had by series and arsenal. The are other interesting stories on that website, such as the post war Navy report on sailors getting a rash after sanding their souvenir rifles.

Check your PM's

Guamsst
06-23-2014, 09:54
Number one, the sling looks right, but I sell Swede Mauser slings like hotcakes as Arisaka lookalikes. (That's exactly howI word the ad, "Arisaka lookalikes") Your sling appears to have a steel buckle. Swede mauser slings are brass and have only one leather loop, not two. I would need to see a good closeup of the buckle. While the number of holes is a good indicator, it is easy to add extras. The mark you describe on the sling (hourglass) should be an arsenal in Tokyo, again, I'd like to see a pic since arsenal marks on slings are both rare and faked.

I would like to see a closeup of the dust cover from above and to the rear so I can see the overall quality. I think you have an original.

The monopod was bent during the war. Japanese soldiers bent them to get the right height while shooting. HOWEVER, it was bent badly post war by someone playing with it. A good original will usually be wavy. They were meant to be repeatedly bent and are made of a soft but slightly springy steel. My best piece of advice is to put one hand between the stock and the monopod and use the other hand to bend it back the correct (forward) direction slowly. There are a few reasons for this. 1.) you need something to press against or you won't be able to get the bend out near the mount. 2.) it gives you a nice steady grip and your hand won't mar the stock or the monopod. 3.) you need to be slow and careful, if your hand hurts....you are pushing too hard and too fast. Once you get the main bend out, straighten the rest by hand as best you can. There is no need to seek an arrow straight finish, just get it to lock up and look "good".

The manufacturer is a good (semi rare) maker. The rifle is worth about $250 around here so you did alright there. The great news is that a monopod is worth between $75-$125, dust covers are pretty steady around $40-$50, Anti Aircraft winged rear sights are a solid $50 and if your sling is original and has a good makers mark, you can count on atleast $50 for that too. All together I would estimate that as a package rifle the selling value is around $400-$450..........around here. Markets vary from place to place though.

Guamsst
06-23-2014, 10:03
Insurance value, I would say $500 That would be the amount that would pay for a similar rifle and accessories in a reasonable amount of time.