PDA

View Full Version : Holster Damage on Blued Pistol ?

Aligater
06-20-2014, 06:27
I have a Blackhawk .45 convertible. My Christmas present from my daughter last year was a beautiful new leather holster. I put the Blackhawk in the holster and forgot about it. Recently, I took it out and noticed that the blue had slightly changed color where the cylinder pressed against the side. Question: Can a holster adversely affect the finish of a blued gun? If so, how may it be prevented? Thanks,

Bruce Payne (Aligater)

Tuna
06-20-2014, 07:39
Yes it sure can. There are chemicals that were used in making the leather that can affect the bluing on your firearm. Some linings in holsters can also attract and hold moisture which can also affect the bluing. I would just make sure you take the firearm out of the holster periodically, wipe it down with oil taking off any excess and put it back into the holster. Another is to use one of the dry spray on coatings. I'm sure others will have other ways to protect it and will chime in here.

emmagee1917
06-20-2014, 10:33
Best way......never store it in a leather holster.
Tanning chemicals are acids , metals and acids don't get along well.
Chris

dave
06-20-2014, 11:01
Tanic acid, the same that makes that green wax when leather & brass are used to-gether. I understand Mex. leather does not use it for tanning.

Johnny P
06-20-2014, 11:56
That green wax is verdigris, and is poisonous. It is formed when anything containing acetic acid and copper are in close proximity. Tannic acid as used in vegetable tanned leather will also cause verdigris to form.

As mentioned above, best not to store handguns in leather holsters. In humid climates leather holds moisture which is not good for handguns.

Art
06-21-2014, 08:02
it isn't just leather, though leather can be the worst culprit. Long term storage in anything porous like the original cardboard box can cause some discoloration to the places where the metal touches the container if left in long enough, that can take many years though. The velour lining on the presentation case my Model 27 came in caused some slight discoloration on one spot on the cylinder, of course it had been in the box for over 20 years without being removed.