PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one, or has anyone else

S.B.
06-12-2014, 09:43
become disappointed with all the changes to the AR-15 platform? Stoner designed it light and easy to carry and now it's far from that. In the beginning it was the perfect survival weapon(in my opinion). Now with it's extra weight, longer, even changes to the operating system(gas to piston), sights are different from original, it's getting too gadgetry, not to mention bipods. Didn't it start out at about five and one half pounds, what is it now?, I've seen over eight pounds listed, and with a match barrel most prefer, ten even twelve plus pounds? In the recent middle east conflicts they use more optics and folding stocks, has anyone ever tried going prone with one of these, in a hurry?
Maybe I'm the lone ranger but, I'd go back to the SP1 if I could find an affordable one.
OK let the rants begin.
Steve

SMOKEY
06-12-2014, 01:18
Wont own one of the new fangled AR's until they can figure out how to hook up a coffee pot on the picaninny rails. They have everything else but no coffee. Weighs as much as the M1A

Johnny in Texas
06-12-2014, 01:50
My go to is a looks like SP1 carbine 16" iron sights. I took my 13 yr. son and some friends rabbit hunting with AR's a while back and I shot twice as many as any of them because I could get on target quicker. Also better on running target at close range. I never use over a 4X scope on an AR other than a very heavy 20" flat top with a 10X scope for varmints out to 300 yrds. it is more of a paper puncher the Carbine kills more than any of them.

broom jockey
06-12-2014, 04:26
Ya mean those first aluminum/Tupperware rifles? 8-)

S.B.
06-12-2014, 06:20
Ya mean those first aluminum/Tupperware rifles? 8-)

Yes. Guess I'm just old, and old fashion. I've even seen fiber framed(PLASTIC) ARs.
Steve

p246
06-12-2014, 06:57
Nice part about them is you can buy or build whatever you want except for a coffee pot.

joem
06-13-2014, 04:41
My grandaughter wants my retro SP1 AR15. Maybe after I'm no more she can have it.

Tuna
06-13-2014, 06:47
My granddaughter also wanted my SP 1. She enjoyed it so much that I bought a S&W MP Sporter right at the beginning of the last panic for a very good price. I figured she could shoot this as much as she wanted and would keep the round count down on my SP1. She has taken to it and has already put about 600 rounds through it in the short time she has been able to shoot it. She is an excellent shot but now she wants a scope on it as she has seen so many others like that.

Major Tom
06-13-2014, 06:56
I, too, loved my Colt SP-1 that i bought in the mid 70's for $250. Wish I still had it. I now have a DPMS M4 which is nice, but, heavy.

epa223
06-13-2014, 03:02
As a builder and collector of the "old" AR-15s since 1985, I found my "home" with RetroBlackRifle.com. All my builds are based on the 600 and 700 series rifles/carbines with one exception... an M4gery with a flat-top replicating the 977/979.

Andouille
06-13-2014, 07:12
RetroBlackRifle has oodles of good information but its forums haven't seemed to catch on like the Retro forum in ARFCOM. Plenty good information stickied there too and much more active.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_3/123_.html

S.B., there are some mostly complete A1 parts kits floating around various places. A new lower receiver and a new barrel and you're in business. Bounce over to ARFCOM for lots of inspiration. Lots of them there are all ate up with NODAK Spud lower receivers for authenticity, but if you don't mind an A2 lower receiver will work just as well and so will a fast twist lightweight barrel from somebody like DEZ arms. You can get that done for half to 3/4 the cost of a decent SP1, especially if you can do most or all of the work yourself.

Dolt
11-23-2014, 02:03
I understand the need to "GI proof" a rifle, but I think that a weapon firing a 5.56 cartridge needs no more weight than about 6 pounds max. without loaded magazine. It is ridiculous to heft an AR that weighs close to 10 pounds.

gwp
11-23-2014, 02:37
Here is something you might like. It is reported to be under 4 pounds.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/11/23/weekend-photo-ultra-light-ounces-pounds-ar-15/

Dolt
11-24-2014, 04:37
Now that's what I'm talkin bout!

Shooter5
11-27-2014, 01:00
become disappointed with all the changes to the AR-15 platform? Stoner designed it light and easy to carry and now it's far from that. In the beginning it was the perfect survival weapon(in my opinion). Now with it's extra weight, longer, even changes to the operating system(gas to piston), sights are different from original, it's getting too gadgetry, not to mention bipods. Didn't it start out at about five and one half pounds, what is it now?, I've seen over eight pounds listed, and with a match barrel most prefer, ten even twelve plus pounds? In the recent middle east conflicts they use more optics and folding stocks, has anyone ever tried going prone with one of these, in a hurry?
Maybe I'm the lone ranger but, I'd go back to the SP1 if I could find an affordable one.
OK let the rants begin.
Steve
Am not sure which particular model you are looking at in terms of weight or other characteristics. Anyway, the AR/M16/M4/whatever you want to call it is completely modular and you can literally put together a rifle of hundreds of thousands of combinations. That is 100,000s.
You want one with carbon fiber, titanium, 7 inch barrel to 24 inch, nearly any caliber you can dream of, etc etc etc. It is like a LEGO toy, mix and match. You can find what you want. Their are many different uppers from crossbows to 50 cal BMG. You want Plain Jane? You got that too.
Someone and anyone can put whatever they want or don't want on it.
It has evolved and proven itself to be a global standard in combat. Its not perfection but it works with proper training and maintenance.

ridgerunner
11-27-2014, 06:06
I agree with Shooter5. With the AR platform, what ever suits you, you can put together. I have a DPMS flattop, 4X16 scope, with a 20" bull barrel that will shoot with my Remington VLS. And that is very good indeed. Heavy, yes. But out to 325 yards, with V-Max bullets, I could not ask for better. For general carry, I have a light carbine flattop, scope, collapsible stock. Shoots good. Just not as good as the heavy barrel DPMS. Still, you are more likely to have it with you, and it is a very handy little rifle. Each is very good for it's purpose.

RED
11-27-2014, 04:03
I have owned, shot, and messed with quite a few AR-15/M-16 rifles. My first rifle was built by John Ross in 1986. It was built on a NFA registered H&R, M16-A1 receiver "rewatted" by J. Stoemple. I no longer felt comfortable shooting such a valuable piece, so I gave the rifle to my son. He kept it in a safe for a few years, and then sold the piece for $22,000.

Today, I own 3, AR-15 lowers and enough different uppers to make 6 different rifles. That is why I really liked the M-16 because it was a system. That is still unique with the 1,000's of aftermarket items that have evolved from the original Stoner design.

da gimp
11-27-2014, 04:13
ditto red.......... & parts are available anywhere we might go......... generally pretty cheap too.

Col. Colt
11-28-2014, 08:09
I have to agree with the OP - the 5.56MM is the right size and power for a Carbine - not a Battle Rifle! My favorite AR thus far is a pre-Ban Colt "Government Carbine" AR15A2 - with a 16" pencil barrel! Five and a half pounds, quick and light! I believe Colt now has a pencil barrelled modern version in a Flattop Carbine, and that would be just as good! CC

bd1
11-29-2014, 03:20
Best value for your $$$ in the gun world today = Colt Model 6920. You can find the basic M4gery iteration for $900 or less. Next panic they'll triple.

Johnny in Texas
11-29-2014, 08:23
My basic go to AR's an M4 config with Eotech 16 inch 1/7 stag
And my Commando 11 1/2 barrel 1/7 stag suppresed with a rocker switch A1 upper iron sights only ( dropped 3 running pigs at 40 yeds on full auto about a ten shot burst the added weight makes it very controlable the pigs where 20 pounders so not very big targets like a fat football
Great bunny gun also.
I agree with OP less is more light and handy I shot a 250 hog tonight with my M4 dark night holding a spotlight resting in the Atv handle bars and the mag of the rifle on top of the light
I flashed the pig with the light put the red dot center mass and popped the cap dropped him at 60 yrds with. 69 gr match bullet great for pigs. I am a big EoTech fan for walk hunting pigs in the brush in central texas

StockDoc
12-01-2014, 07:46
It's a rifle that it's intent was to be a light rifle, alum and plastic, now they go and put at that junk on it to weigh it down and complicate matters. give me a simple light AR that can hold lots of ammo.

leftyo
12-03-2014, 01:15
i think they are best as varmint rigs, but as was mentioned they are like lego's build it however you want.

WarPig1976
12-03-2014, 02:04
Iraqveteren8888 on Youtube summed it up pretty good in this video. Still no coffee maker on this one, should be on gen2 though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQpfQd1397E&index=1&list=PLoagig7ANyXNO3r8TRoXHAHnzDgEb4XWT

bigskybound
12-03-2014, 11:48
I call those things "Blade Runner Guns". I like my Colt Model 604 clone much better.

Shooter5
12-03-2014, 08:13
If you don't like the 5.56; Recall that caliber choices include some thumpers like the 6.8 SPC and 6.5Grendel, etc just for starters. There is so many options for uppers, material, rails, barrels, caliber, sights, length, weight you could spend a week looking at whats available.

hyrax222
02-28-2016, 05:55
I bought a Colts SP1 new in 1977. Over the years it has had
It's furniture changed several times.

The only thing original remaining is the lower. I can't say it's better now though...

n64atlas
02-28-2016, 06:21
I can see the Op's point:
From this
http://www.jouster.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=34533&stc=1

to this::hello::banana100::D
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/n64atlas/various%20pics/ultimate.jpg

langss
04-27-2016, 09:27
Simple sometimes makes people unhappy. My first was an SP1 and I still have it. I have built a few to duplicate it since I have to live in California, but it was my first and I love it.

S.B.
08-27-2017, 03:43
My grandaughter wants my retro SP1 AR15. Maybe after I'm no more she can have it.
I've been collecting parts going to build one soon.
Steve