PDA

View Full Version : Reloading for Glocks

Allen
06-07-2014, 08:30
Probably an old subject. I have 3 Glocks that I have never fired--2 22's (40 cal.) and one 21 (45acp ). I just read an article stating that Glocks have a loose chamber and part of the chamber is unsupported which allows the brass case to expand or bulge when fired. Re-sizing and re-firing will of course weaken the case where the bulge has formed. It is this reason that Glock does not recommend using reloaded ammo in their guns. Have any of you had this problem or can you add additional info? Thanks !!!

mikld
06-07-2014, 10:21
I don't think any gun manufacturer will warrenty a gun using handloads. The Glock in 40 S&W has/had a chamber that leaves a bit of the case, near the case head, unsupported. And yes, bulges appear (Glock smile, Glock guppy brass), but several dies are available to straighten out the bulge, "bulge busters". I haven't read about the case life for bulged cases, but I'm sure it would be fairly low...

Tuna
06-07-2014, 12:52
Glock has never supported reloading of any kind in their firearms while other makers have not put out statements like Glock about reloaded ammo. Earlier Glocks have a tendency to blow up unless worked over by the factory. All because of the unsupported case and because of the polygonal rifling that they use if shooting lead bullets. If you get an after market replacement barrel for your Glocks you will be able to shoot reloads.

Hefights
06-07-2014, 07:14
I have reloaded 9mm cases and jacketed bullets for years in my G19. Never a problem. Lead bullets will cause build up fast in the poly barrel and elevate pressures, sometimes to the point of a kaboom. I have seen that documented. Otherwise I am unfamiliar with the other issues. With lead you clean it very frequently or get a replacement barrel with conventional rifling which are available on the market.

Allen
06-07-2014, 09:06
I believe it is mostly the 40 cal Glocks that have the chamber bulge problems. I saw some 40s&w once fired brass for sale on GunBroker and the seller claimed he could not guarantee that some of the brass had not been fired in Glocks. So, to some it is a big issue but perhaps only on the 40.

Ltdave
06-08-2014, 04:56
glock barrels are partially unsupported...

when i was in the PD in oklahoma, we reloaded for all of the range ammo and we told the glock shooters to either handle their own reloads or provide their own ammo because of the bulge they had in the cases. these were all 1st generation guns. i dont know if the chamber has changed since '91...

the glocks dont really have polygonal rifling. if you look at the lands, they are more of a chord going down the bore. i liken them to flattened out speedbumps. HK has polygonal rifling in that if you look at the bore, you can see where there is a definite flat side to each land...

ive put many many thousands of LSWC pills through my 1st gen G-22 (155g) and i have less leading after 400 rounds than i have with 40 rounds of lead reloads in my Smith Wesson M66-1 loaded to .38spl levels. in the smith i have to use a pick to drag the long "strings" of lead out of the grooves. the glock gets patches dirty but ive NEVER had a piece of lead come out...

this is 5 shots at 20 yards (+/- a yard) standing (slow deliberate fire) with the 155g LSWC over 5.7g of Unique. 1" center to center...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v155/ltdave/M14%20type/P1010206.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/ltdave/media/M14%20type/P1010206.jpg.html)

Tuna
06-08-2014, 08:00
If I remember right it was the .40 S&W Glock's that first blew up. Then the .45 and finally the 9mm's. And what pissed off a lot of people was the fact that Glock was so quick to blame reloaded ammo each and every time one of their firearms let go. I know of one Sheriffs department when qualifying with Glock .45's and factory Remington ammo had a couple of them let go. Glock said it was because of reloads and the department has never used reloads even today. The department got rid of their 350+ Glock's and got Sig's to replace them and has been happy with them. I can also remember seeing Federal .40 S&W 150 gr HP ammo marked "Not for use in Glock's" I do know that if someone had a problem with their Glock and sent it back to the factory that it came back changed. New barrel, new trigger system and new magazines as that was another problem they had as one could not remove a partly filled magazine from a Glock as the walls of the magazine would bow out and prevented the magazine from coming out easy. Glock has had a lot of problems over the years and they have worked them out BUT they still refuse to admit to ever having problems with their firearms.