PDA

View Full Version : M 1917 too good to be true?

Mebailj
06-04-2014, 09:00
I was in a dealer's shop yesterday, and I saw a Remington M1917 in a corner. Attendant there said it was an internet gun on Gunbroker, but they would sell it. It looks brand new. However, it has been re-conditioned or re-arsenaled at some point. They are asking $799.00 for the rifle. The stock is like new, a dark brown color. However, there are a number of stock repairs that have been done. They blend in ok, but I didn't see an arsenal stamp like RRAD on one of my Garands on this stock anywhere. The metal finish looks more of a dark blue than parkerized. The bore is mint, and the bolt looks like it has an original grayish blue somewhat worn finish. The rifle looks too good to be true. Am I correct that these rifles were only re-finished during World War II? This rifle doesn't seem to have the 60 year old look to it. Actually, it almost looks like a new type Mitchell's Mauser re-build.I believe I also smelled a fresh coat of linseed oil. I can barely make out the barrel date. I could see an 18, and the receiver markings are a bit worn and not crisp. I received my DCM Garand back in the early 90s from Anniston Army Depot. It looked like it had just come off the assembly line. Beautiful parkerized finish. This rifle looks as good. I looked on Gunbroker, but the rifle is not on it. This business is in Kingsport, Tennessee. No Tennessee sellers on Gunbroker last night or today. What do you think?

p246
06-04-2014, 09:59
Sounds more like a well done Bubba rework. I bought a pristine Canadian lend lease that is one of my most accurate shooters for five hundred. 799.00 is real high IMO.

joem
06-04-2014, 10:39
Don't know about your deal but I've always been told "If it's too good to be true, it usually is not a good deal".

Embalmer
06-04-2014, 04:05
I got an all original eddystone for 650. 799 for that is a bit high

tmark
06-04-2014, 08:13
Does it have a JA barrel on it or a R mark on the barrel?

It sounds like someone had it refinished. Given the condition you described, $450 would be a fair price for it.

Mebailj
06-05-2014, 08:26
I would have to go back to the dealer, who is 35 miles from here. I could just make out an 18 on the barrel. I couldn't tell if it was a Remington marked barrel. I saw what looked like a flaming bomb, but it was very faint. The receiver, barrel front sight, etc., all of the metalwork has been refinished. It wasn't a smooth finish, but rather like a sandblasted one. I do have all matching original Eddystone with a barrel date of 11/18, so I was doing a mental comparison. It was a beautiful Model 1917, and I would take it home in a minute. It just seemed weirdly too nice. I wish they would post it on Gunbroker. I would ask you guys to take a look and advise me. Thanks for the feedback.

Mebailj
06-05-2014, 08:43
I have located the rifle. It is on Gunbroker, auction number 419724591. There are better detailed photos and a description of the the rifle. I was only there a few minutes and the light was low. These 65 year old eyes don't see as well as they use to. It does have an aged look to it. What do you think?

jaie5070
06-05-2014, 05:47
The barrel and receiver could be post WW1 refinish with the parkerizing they used at that time. The trigger guard and floor plate look WW11 finished to me. For that price I wood expect it to be all remington. Has anyone else seen those kind and quantity of stock repairs on 1917's from US arsenals?
john

kcw
06-05-2014, 08:32
Looks like a WWII rebuild to me. It has the typical bead blasted, barreled receiver with black park found on the WWII rebuilt guns. The floor plate, trigger guard and likely the bands appear to be the later WWI production with the park of that era, NOS. The trigger guard was not on a WWI rifle as there are no stake marks next to the action screws, another indicator of a WWII rebuild. There was a short lived rebuild program for used M1917's immediately after WWI. However, the bulk of the rifles needing arsenal service were "put away wet" and neglected until the panic at the start of our involvement in WWII. The object during the WWII program was to get them out the door, so certain steps, such as staking the action screws or worrying about sighting in those rifles getting replacement front sights, were disregarded. I obtained a WWII rebuilt Eddystone several years ago which was apparently unissued since rebuild, with a stiff bolt and no finish wear to the bolt or interior of the receiver.

Clark Howard
06-08-2014, 12:52
I think you should get one of those $450 rifles. I haven't seen one in 2 or three years. If you want a representative example of a 1917 rifle, the asking price is in line with the current market. Regards, Clark