PDA

View Full Version : 5,747,000 Winchester Carbine

Duane Hansen
06-01-2014, 08:22
I just picked up a 5,747,000 serial number range M1 Carbine in a deal for a couple other pieces. It is a mixed parts Carbine. My question is what time frame did they use SA marked replacement stocks? And the barrel is marked SA 6-52. The pistol grip on the stock has a letter "B" on the bottom otherwise there are no other markings on it. The stock has no wear on it at all. It has a staked, adjustable rear sight and a quarter turn safety.

Anything sound out of the ordinary? Thanks....

I don't know much about Carbines so any help will be greatly appreciated.

Tuna
06-02-2014, 08:13
The barrel date is a good indicator of when your carbine went through a rebuild. The Springfield barrel and stock were most likely replaced on it then when many carbines were rebuilt during the Korean War or shortly after that.

Duane Hansen
06-02-2014, 02:56
Thanks Tuna!

Duane Hansen
06-06-2014, 06:36
Talking about the same Winchester 5 million serial Carbine. What does the "D" represent at the end of the serial number?

The Carbine looks like it was never used after it went through SA rebuild in 1952. What would be the ball park value of this carbine?

Thanks in advance.....

Tuna
06-07-2014, 07:24
It would not be part of the serial number. Is it stamped on the receiver or in the wood of the stock? Could be for almost anything. Picture of it might help.

jimb
06-07-2014, 05:14
I had one of those myself. And Tuna, it is added to the serial number. I believe they are "duplicate" serial numbers and are replacements for recivers that had developed some defect.

bug
06-08-2014, 06:22
I had one of those myself. And Tuna, it is added to the serial number. I believe they are "duplicate" serial numbers and are replacements for recivers that had developed some defect.

Was that at the production stage? I've seen the X suffix used but D makes a lot more sense...

Tuna
06-08-2014, 07:42
It would have been at the receiver production stage but I myself have not seen any standard production carbine with an added letter other then the duplicate X on Inlands in the serial number.

BrianQ
06-08-2014, 09:57
WRA D suffix serial numbers are duplicated serial numbers, meaning WRA stamped two receivers with the same serial number. They aren't reused serial numbers.

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg239/BQ97/WRADSuffix.jpg

Duane Hansen
06-08-2014, 11:13
Mine looks just like the Winchester Carbine shown by BrianQ. It's interesting that his serial number is relatively close to mine. Thanks

SloopJohnB
06-08-2014, 09:20
Mine looks just like the Winchester Carbine shown by BrianQ. It's interesting that his serial number is relatively close to mine. Thanks

Someone in production was having a bad day!