PDA

View Full Version : Model 97 RIOT SRS Check Please

azimuth
06-01-2014, 08:51
E941561

Additional info: Large U.S. and ordnance bomb on left rear of receiver and small ordnance bomb on top of barrel; barrel marked "CYL."

I picked up this old model 97 riot some years ago that had suffered more than its share of abuse and neglect. Just curious if there is any info out there on the old warhorse. It is a take-down model with a "42' on the underside of the barrel near the receiver.

Thanks in advance for any information.

azimuth
06-16-2014, 06:26
Well, it's been a couple of weeks and no reply, so I'm guessing that either no one has SRS data on military shotguns, or they don't frequent the shotgun forum very often.
Anyway, the whole point of asking was to make sure I wouldn't be ruining a piece with some history if I have it refurbished. The shotgun in question has no finish remaining and needs a couple of parts replaced (buttplate and forearm). Since it's condition renders it void of any collector interest, does anyone have an opinion on why I should or should not have it refinished? Just looking for a little wisdom from those with more experience in these matters.

Thanks in advance for any help!

http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr348/az_imuth/Other/97bCustom_zpsf4bb5809.jpg
http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr348/az_imuth/Other/97aCustom_zps8f59d85d.jpg

joem
06-16-2014, 04:36
It you gun so you can do with it as you please. If it were mine I'd have it refinished and shoot it once in a while.

p246
06-16-2014, 09:10
I'd probably do the same. Thanks for posting pics of your take down model.

Tom Doniphon
06-16-2014, 09:47
There is a table in Bruce Canfield's book on U.S. combat shotguns that lists Winchester Model 1897 and Model 97 shotgun serial numbers that were cited in Government documents including SRS citations. I don't know if every SRS cited shotgun is listed in that table, but E941561 is not.

azimuth
06-17-2014, 03:19
Thanks Tom,

It's my understanding that my serial number is pretty late for WWII Riot guns, and is in the midst of the Trench models which were produced afterwards. If my understanding is correct, is it unusual to find Riot models produced that late, or were they scattered throughout WWII production?

Tom Doniphon
06-17-2014, 10:36
Yes, mostly trench guns in that serial number range.

azimuth
06-17-2014, 01:25
Once again, thanks for the help!

emmagee1917
06-18-2014, 09:37
Somebody had a '97 trench in prob'ly about the same condition. They had it refinished back to original looks . The serial numbers are almost gone from carrying it there . I bought it for $1000 as I can use it and do no harm . I love it.
Chris

Charlie Flick
06-18-2014, 01:30
Azimuth:

If it was my gun I would fix what was busted but would not refinish it. It is well worn but does not appear to be heavily pitted or otherwise wrecked. It can only be original once, and after you refinish it it can never be original again. (Replacing small busted parts does not materially alter the "originality" of this gun, in my opinion.) It will shoot just as well in original condition as it will refinished. So, your gun, your choice but my vote is to leave it alone.

Regards,
Charlie

azimuth
06-18-2014, 02:03
Charlie,
I appreciate your opinion and leaving the finish as-is is certainly a possibility. Shopping around, I've located a replacement forearm. I am a bit confused on all the options for buttplates, however.I can't tell a reproduction from an original, but would much prefer an original that's been "broken in" if I could locate one.

SPEEDGUNNER
06-19-2014, 10:48
Azimuth:

If it was my gun I would fix what was busted but would not refinish it. It is well worn but does not appear to be heavily pitted or otherwise wrecked. It can only be original once, and after you refinish it it can never be original again. (Replacing small busted parts does not materially alter the "originality" of this gun, in my opinion.) It will shoot just as well in original condition as it will refinished. So, your gun, your choice but my vote is to leave it alone.

Regards,
Charlie

+1 on this. I like a gun with some "honest wear", especially a martial arm. Shows that it has "been there".