PDA

View Full Version : Stevens 520-30 Arsenal Rebuild Procedure

Rawhide
05-31-2014, 05:57
Gentlemen:
I observed a Stevens 520-30 with a barrel serial number that does not match the receiver so it is clearly not original to the shotgun. The butt stock has a swivel so it was either originally a trench model configuration that lost its heat shield or the stock was indiscriminately used in a rebuild of a riot model. Although I have read some Forum postings about mismatched Stevens 520 barrels, I have not heard any discussion as to whether the U.S. arsenals used mismatched shotgun parts during rebuilds. In other words, I was wondering if there is any evidence that ordnance facilities overhauled shotguns after WWII in a manner similar to their rebuilding of M1s and M1911A1s. In those examples, we know that the manufacturer and era did not matter provided the parts were serviceable and fully interchangeable. Thoughts?

Tom Doniphon
05-31-2014, 09:57
Most of the true shotgun rebuilds I've seen had matching numbers. There were relatively few made compared to Garands and other Military production firearms. They are basically commercial production shotguns, some with a lot of factory hand fitted parts which do not interchange easily. Arsenals would usually keep the numbers together. If a barrel was replaced, the barrel, or the barrel extension, was usually serial numbered to the receiver because headspace is very important on these shotguns. If you have mismatched serial numbers, you should have the headspace checked out.

bigskybound
06-01-2014, 09:16
I am a relative newbie with these guns, but have looked at and even owned quite a few martially marked 520-30 shotguns in both riot and trench configurations. I have had in my hands probably half a dozen of these that were mis-matched, but in VG to excellent arsenal refinished condition, with finishes that could only be the result of the same process at around the same time. I have also owned two mis-matched guns in same condition with proper headspace and which fired and cycled flawlessly.

Also, I spoke with a WWII vet who was an armorer and he told me that with the Stevens guns in particular (God bless John Browning) they did not worry quite so much about getting barrels and receivers matched back up. Not so the Winchesters. He described the field stripping and cleaning process and how guns with busted parts were made whole by utilizing other busted guns.

So while a fully matching Stevens is clearly superior, from a collector standpoint, I think the mis-matched guns meant nothing to the armorers in the military.

67rebelsst
06-01-2014, 01:14
I have run into more mis-match than matched when it comes to Stevens. Look for both a punch mark on receiver and barrel across from one another, may also have a "P" on both about the same location across from one another that show it was at an arsenal this is just an indicator that it was at an arsenal. I enjoy all of these shotguns match or mis-match

Rawhide
06-01-2014, 02:46
I have two questions to add to the discussion.
1) Why do we encounter so many mismatched Stevens 520-30 shotguns?
2) All else being equal, how much would a serial number mismatch (barrel/receiver/stock) decrease the value compared to an all matching example?

67rebelsst
06-01-2014, 05:17
I think it always depends on what someone is willing to pay. That being said I personally value them a little less; say $200 less than a matching in like condition. To me it is a bargaining chip. Most people would not know what is matching or non-matching. example: I bought a gun by pictures the guy tells me it is matching but did not take it apart. I ask how do you know it is matching, he states that the guy he got it from was a WWII vet and had it for years all wear patterns say they match. OK I tell him I will take it and drive 2+ hours to pick it up. The first thing I do is ask to take it apart to verify matching numbers. Of course the stock and receiver match but the barrel does not. He does not want to come off the price and I was not willing to pay his asking price. $200 less and I would have taken it.

Rawhide
06-01-2014, 05:30
So what is a fair value for an all matching Stevens 520-30 with honest wear but no evidence abuse or neglect?

67rebelsst
06-02-2014, 02:54
that stevens was about 80% or better no pitting just blue wear He wanted 750 I felt 550 was about what I wanted to pay. put it on gb and it may go higher or lower it is always what someone is willing to pay. let us know if you decide to sell. good luck