PDA

View Full Version : Muzzle Brake

Matt Anthony
05-28-2014, 03:06
Do you have a large caliber rifle that you don't like to shoot due to heavy recoil? Have you tried reduced loads and still not happy? Rifles sitting in the safe not being used, kinda a waste of money if you don't enjoy them!
I have a torn rotator cuff that finally healed by itself. It was a long process, 2 years! I sold all of my rifles that were over 30 caliber due to my shoulder. The 30 calibers I kept consist of 308's and 30-06's which sat for 2 years. I finally decided to have muzzle brakes installed so I could shoot them and that was the most intelligent thing I have ever done.
The 308's and 30-06's with full house loads with the Scorehigh muzzle brakes have felt recoil like a 243. My 25-06 has a Vais muzzle brake and shoots like a hot 22-250. I even had one installed on one of my 22-250's and the felt recoil is like a 22 RF Magnum. On one of my 22 RF benchrest guns, a 40X I had one installed. There is no recoil! It is a pleasure to shoot because it doesn't move when fired. Shooting aspirin at 100 yards is amazing with this gun!
Muzzle brakes cause a bigger boom for others, but once you have one installed you won't believe the difference and once again you can enjoy the big calibers that just sit there in the safe.
Matt

Major Tom
05-28-2014, 07:26
I use a butt pad I bought from Midway. It is 'rubber', very thick, slips on (fits all my rifles) and greatly reduces felt recoil. Cost was $20.