PDA

View Full Version : 1899 Carbine Stock and Bolt

robh5
05-21-2014, 01:35
I was offered a 1899 carbine stock that is close to mint. Has the butt plate and band spring. Crisp 1899 cartouche, price $400.00. Also in the same deal was a very clean carbine bolt with headless cocking piece, price $100.00
I have a 1899 carbine with 90+% finish, with a good stock, (can't make out the date) but no where near as nice as this one. Made in August 1900.
I would like to know if the receiver date and the cartouche date are too far apart to be correct
Also if it is a fair price on the stock and also the bolt?

Thanks for any opinions. Bob.

Dick Hosmer
05-21-2014, 02:45
To give an intelligent answer, I'd need to know the serial number range of your gun. The headless cocking piece was NOT exclusive to carbines (and old wife's tale which has been debunked) but rather spans a certain time period, during which both carbines and rifles were made. A one year difference is usually considered OK, but the serial number should be LOWER than the stock date - yours would go the other way. The price is full retail and then some on the stock, perhaps better on the bolt, but neither are "steals". On balance, I'd probably recommend against the swap, but it's close enough so that if you wound up with a MUCH better looking gun, and sold your parts, you'd be OK. Only a VERY few pieces are total virgins.

robh5
05-21-2014, 03:38
Serial # on my 99 carbine is 254580.
I personally thought the stock was enough money, but I'm not up on prices.

i

Kragrifle
05-22-2014, 04:54
That SN is more likely to have been in a 1900 dated stock. "Headless" cocking piece will show up on 1899 and early 1900 rifles and carbines.