PDA

View Full Version : Question on Oiler and Thong Pull-Throughs

cwbuff
05-19-2014, 07:00
The pictures below are the contents of five nickel-plated oiler and thong cases. I'm trying to figure out what era the brushes and loops are from. The 3 black steel brushes are all different, while the 2 brass brushes are very similar. The 2 black steel loops look the same as do the 3 brass loops. Also, how do you tell if the cord is original for the era? Thanks!

dave
05-19-2014, 09:20
Pictures will not enlarge. I have only seen Parked or brass in these---not "black". The parked being WW11 and the brass pre-war. As I'm sure you know the case and contents may very well not be oringinally to-gether. The differences in detail may only be due to different makers.

cwbuff
05-19-2014, 11:45
The pics enlarge for me? I wonder what's up with that? They may be parked - but they are black. The brushes appear to all be fiber (not bronze).

JBinIll
05-19-2014, 08:09
There were 5 different patterns of brushes issued for the thong and oiler from WW1 till the 1960s Bill Ricca has posted previously.The nickel plated oilers stayed in service up into the 60s with NG units.If it was in the storeroom it was issued till there were no more.Brass pull throughs are most likely pre-WW2.The WW2 and some 1930s brushes I have that came out of dated pkgs. were all steel cored with pig bristle brushes.The WW2 Baracks rods brushes in pkg. I have were brass with brass bristles but are longer than the ones for the oiler by about a 1/4 inch.The pull through with the white cord the cord is a replacement.

cwbuff
05-21-2014, 04:58
Thanks!