PDA

View Full Version : Lizard litter to clean & polish brass

eli ed
05-14-2014, 07:37
I have been using Lizard Litter (yea that's right it's called Lizard Litter) bought at my local pet store to clean and polish my brass in a vibrator tumbler. It is dust free and inexpensive. In the bag I bought for $10.00, I got 3 one gal milk jugs full. There is two types, the smaller size won't stick in the primer hole. I use the recommended amount of Dillon rapid polish 290, any of the commercial equivilent will work. The brass comes out clean and shinny.
I haven't found any down side and been using it for about 2 years.

mikld
05-14-2014, 04:52
I got my first bag of lizard litter from Petco in 1987. Tried all the additives; car polish, commercial polishes, and mineral spirits. Now I just use some mineral spirits on occasion. I found the darker, coarser grind litter works better, with a shiny, but not glossy shine, finish. I don't tumble every case ever reload, as I don't want/need virgin looking brass, but my 30-06 brass is shined up pretty good. I shoot my Garand out doors in dirt, grass, etc, and shiny brass is easier to find...

Ltdave
05-14-2014, 05:41
yep...

Lizard Litter is the best deal i could find...

i tumble lightly to get the dirt off...

lube, resize, deprime...

tumble 4-8 hours (depends if i remember its running lol) with 2 "glugs" of mineral spirits to help cut the lube...

hand prime the "better looking than new" brass and away i go!

joem
05-15-2014, 04:21
I bought six 50 pound bags of crushed walnut shells from a sand blast supply comapny. Friends took three bags. If I run out I'll call to see if i can buy more.

emmagee1917
05-15-2014, 09:02
I don't polish for it to look good , I polish it the first time to keep the scratching dirt , sand , and powder ash out of my resizing die and the second to remove lube and clean the pockets for surer seating.
Chris

Dan Shapiro
05-15-2014, 09:20
Been going to Petco for years to pick up polishing media. If they ever find out what I'm really using it for, they'd probably double or triple the price!

Sunray
06-03-2014, 12:28
Lizard litter is crushed walnut shells. Also sold as small pet bedding. Buying it in pet supply shops has been suggested here and other reloading forums for eons.