PDA

View Full Version : Home Made Snap Caps

Fred Pillot
05-13-2014, 11:08
I'm thinking about machining some solid brass plugs to press into primer pocket holes and using them as snap caps to protect the firing pin. Has anyone seen this or done it? Wondering how long each one would last.

Parashooter
05-13-2014, 01:06
Try nylon or a similar semi-hard plastic. Better cushion and lasts longer.

Fred Pillot
05-13-2014, 02:10
I may try both. I'll update here if i discover anything.

dogtag
05-13-2014, 06:46
The two commercial jobs that I bought [red plastic] lasted about five minutes
before center froze solid making them totally useless.
Thought about putting soft gummy stuff in empty case pocket.
Thinking about it is as far as I've got.

Allen Humphrey
05-14-2014, 03:13
Blob-o-silicone. Or some old leather. I suppose it depends on the firearm if it is even necessary at all. For example the 1903 firing pin is actually stopped by the cocking piece, not the pin. I'd suspect that the primer barely slows the mechanism at all.

I'd be concerned that a solid brass plug would resist the pin so much that it would cause damage rather than prevent it. The material would need to be able to return to original shape promptly or it would cease to provide any function.

Fred Pillot
05-15-2014, 12:59
I made 3 plugs.

1) UHMWPE
2) Brass, free machining 360
3) Nylon

The UHMWPE was way too soft.

Brass worked best, giving a slightly larger indentation with each shot although indentation slowed as the dent got bigger.

Nylon was right behind the brass, but looks like the indentation was getting bigger a bit faster.

I tested the brass and nylon 15 shots each, and they look like both have many more shots left in them.
You can tell that they are working because the firing pin has a muffled sound to it.
As the dent grows, especially the brass, you must scrape away the raised crater rim.

musketjon
06-03-2015, 09:42
How about a pencil eraser??
Jon

Fred Pillot
06-04-2015, 03:46
I also made a .308 snap cap by drilling out the primer pocket and sliding in a brass plunger and a heavy coil spring. Then soldered a brass plug in the case neck to hold it all together.

Liam
06-08-2015, 03:23
Fred - like to see a photo of your snap cap, if you could. Sounds like a nice Winter activity (planning ahead!). - Liam

Sunray
07-15-2015, 10:23
Solid brass plugs won't protect that which doesn't need protecting. Centre fires don't need snap caps. DP cartridges simply have nothing in the primer pocket.

usmc69
08-31-2015, 02:04
How about a pencil eraser??
Jon

I made up some many years ago for training rounds. Worked well.

JB White
11-23-2016, 09:02
I used them in the primer pockets too. They work well until they don't. As in when the FP decides to pierce the rubber and the "snap cap" and FP are hooked up like mating dogs. Try opening up a Snider when that happens! :)