PDA

View Full Version : Remove, or not

Matt K.
05-13-2014, 05:30
I hate to post money related questions, but I have a rifle I am ready to sell. It is a 4-digit receiver that looks like it had a 1945 rebuild. All the parts are correct for a 3.4-3.7 million rifle.

Do I remove the receiver and sell it separately? Or sell the whole rifle?

Thanks.

R/Matt

jeremy69
05-13-2014, 10:07
I would sell it whole if its a true late war rebuild. Those are more scarce than early receivers and late war parts.

Matt K.
05-13-2014, 01:07
I would have no way of proving it, but all the parts are relatively pristine like they were all new when they went on and the rifle didn't see much service. 5-45 barrel and lock-bar.

dryheat
05-13-2014, 01:29
If the goal is to realize the most money in this case I would break it down if you can do that yourself and not have to lay out $50 to get it done. The receiver if in good shape is worth at least $400 maybe more. Get another receiver for about $250 and put it all back together. I like early post war rifles and I keep an eye out for nice 3.4 - 3.8 rifles. They have a certain look and if you can replicate that it will be a nice looking rifle.

Dean-DGR
05-13-2014, 02:39
Keep in mind a receiver only requires an FFL where a complete rifle can be purchased with a C&R. Dean-DGR

bd1
05-14-2014, 02:23
Do you have any paperwork from the DCM or the CMP? Either way, the whole rifle would be the way to sell it.

Matt K.
05-14-2014, 04:34
I guess it is probably worth $25 to see if there is DCM paperwork. I knew the owner and he had it pre-CMP.

M1Riflenut
05-20-2014, 02:24
If the goal is to realize the most money in this case I would break it down if you can do that yourself and not have to lay out $50 to get it done. The receiver if in good shape is worth at least $400 maybe more. Get another receiver for about $250 and put it all back together. I like early post war rifles and I keep an eye out for nice 3.4 - 3.8 rifles. They have a certain look and if you can replicate that it will be a nice looking rifle.

A 4 digit receiver is worth far more than $400 range.

bubba1
05-20-2014, 06:56
I agree, 4 digit receivers will bring more than 400.00 in good shape.

cplnorton
05-21-2014, 03:24
I hate to say this, as I hate to see them broken up, but they are worth more in parts than they are together. It's a shame, but true.

fogerty
03-29-2015, 08:12
Keep the whole rifle. Forget about selling it.

Col. Colt
03-29-2015, 09:52
You either see it as a financial "opportunity" for yourself, or a snapshot of history at a moment in time....
It's a rare enough variation to deserve preservation the way it is, from my point of view - get the DCM documentation and keep it!

When faced with preservation of historical artifacts vs the maximizing personal profit motive, I always remember the line in the original Indiana Jones movie -

" Indy, we are only passing through History - This IS History! Do as you will."

You are either a curator or a profiteer - and each person has their own standard that seems right to them. CC

dryheat
03-29-2015, 10:41
The rifle as it is(or was at this point) has some historical significance,albeit,little. A four digit receiver just happened to get turned into a 1945 rebuild. It's a mixmaster. There's plenty of them around. I put BF Goodrich tires on my truck after the originals wore out. That's history,but who cares? I have had in my possesion early and late rifles that were pretty much intact. I don't take them apart. Some guys will sell pert near anything, I don't count myself among them. I get sentimental about old logs.

RCS
03-30-2015, 05:13
Can you post the complete serial number on your four digit ? there is some SRS data available on these early receivers

musketjon
03-30-2015, 09:24
Matt,
If you decide to break it apart, I'd like to have first right of refusal on the barrel.
Thanks
Jon

Devil Dog
03-30-2015, 09:55
I hate to say this, as I hate to see them broken up, but they are worth more in parts than they are together. It's a shame, but true.

cplnorton is correct. Unless you have an original rifle, most M1's are usually worth more in parts than whole.

SPEEDGUNNER
03-30-2015, 01:00
What makes you think it is a 1945 rebuild other than the mix of parts? How is the stock marked? Has it been reparked? Is the chamber in the white? The SHM proofed postwar rebuilds are a class of rifle unto themselves, both the M-1 Garand and the M-1 carbine. We need more info to help you make an informed decision.

Col. Colt
03-30-2015, 01:39
How do you "rebuild/restore" a four digit reciever? Where the heck do you get Gas Trap Parts? A correctly dated barrel?? I wouldn't give $200 for a four digit reciever, it costs too much to restore..... CC

UUURah
03-31-2015, 12:43
Can you post the complete serial number on your four digit ? there is some SRS data available on these early receivers

Yes, post it. That way I can tell you if it was stolen from me or not...

Dean-DGR
04-01-2015, 03:45
I have a customer that is looking for a 4 or 5 digit receiver/rifle. Please contact me (Dean) dean@dgrguns.com and we will if we can make both of you happy! Dean-DGR
dgrguns.com

GBA
04-07-2015, 07:27
I have a four digit receiver that I built into a rifle. Has some gas trap parts and some 1945 parts, and a lot in between. I had a nice SGM stock and type II lock bar sights. It's just a fun to put together mix. What is special about it, a 6 thousand SN receiver, is that it was stamped almost on my birth date in December 1938. I don't think I'll be selling it very soon.