PDA

View Full Version : One to avoid

Dick Hosmer
05-11-2014, 05:51
I hope no one here, or their friend, is bidding on this:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=413850946

It is a total fake, and, since the seller has not responded to a very polite note, one is forced to conclude that they have no interest whatsoever in doing the right thing, and are now knowingly and willingly complicit in the fraud.

broom jockey
05-12-2014, 12:41
Even a rookie like me can see it is a fake.

broom jockey
05-12-2014, 12:43
Just looked at it again and I see the auction has been ended.

Tkacook
05-13-2014, 06:10
Would you say that at $550, that would be an ok price for a cut down rifle? Just curious.

Andy

Dick Hosmer
05-13-2014, 10:26
I'm the wrong person to ask. From my personal perspective - which, after nearly 45 years of specializing, is admittedly not that of "everyman" - a cutdown rifle has virtually zero value, certainly no more then the sum of the value of its' undamaged components, which, on that gun, are few and far between.

But, to a person who simply wants something that looks like a real antique to have fun with, perhaps to "re-enact" with and not care if his horse busts the stock, etc., such a piece can be the answer - and who am I to say it is the wrong answer, for them?

I would not pay $550 for that gun. The fact that a seller appears to be less than honest frankly does influence my decision in such matters. If he didn't know the gun was FUBAR to begin with, he certainly did after I wrote to him. Did he pull the auction? No, he let it run, and I personally believe that if he had received a high-enough bid, he would have sold it and said nothing. He can prove me wrong by re-listing it at the price of a cutoff. Will he? I don't know, perhaps we will see.

Another facet to be considered is - did he, in ignorance, get stuck with a turkey, and was he only trying to recoup his money? Fair enough, one might say. I disagree - one should not foist their problems off onto others.

Assigning values can be a complex process - one size does not fit all.

joem
05-14-2014, 04:54
If I wanted a shooter I might have bid $250 to $300 but that's it.

Tkacook
05-14-2014, 06:45
Thanks for the opinions, always welcome. I own 3 parts rifles that I enjoy shooting. All three of mine have been built 1 piece at a time. I avoid reproduction parts and would never tell anyone that they are anything but parts rifles. I respect the originals, just haven't been able to afford one. Dick I do have your book and have enjoyed it a great deal. I have learned a lot from it. At least now I "think" I will know an original when I see it. In the mean time I still enjoy shooting 50-70 and 45-70 from my Trapdoors.

Dick Hosmer
05-15-2014, 06:32
You have hit the nail on the head - honesty counts - it isn't the money that bothers me, but rather the attitude. Anyone can make a mistake, the sin - in my opinion - comes in perpetuating the situation after being told.

Glad you are getting some use out of my book. The second (since it deals only with the rarities omitted by Poyer's basic primer) will have a narrower appeal, but I hope it is an interesting read, nonetheless.