PDA

View Full Version : M44 US Failure to Eject

Art
05-07-2014, 11:34
The last couple of times out the ejection with my M44 U.S. has become very spotty, about one failure to eject every 6-8 rounds. I fiddled with it and found the ejector is a little loose and has some up and down motion allowing spent cases to sometimes ride over the top of the ejector.

This should be fixable pretty easily but before I do anything or have anything done by a professional I was wondering if the ejector is press fit in or if its staked in or both.

Thanks in advance.

Art
05-07-2014, 12:50
It helps to do some research. I checked on line and found the source of this problem can be the two screws that hold the firing and ejecting mechanism together and attach the whole shebang to the receiver. If they are loose it seems it can cause the ejector to move around affecting ejection. I took the barreled action out of the wood and sure enough those screws were very loose. I torqued them down and the ejector is now solidly in with no wobble at all. We'll see how it works on the next trip to the range.

Art
05-14-2014, 01:33
Fixed it. Took the action out of the wood, tightened up the two screws that attach the trigger group (and ejector) to the action. took the rifle to the range today and it ejected spent cases like a champ, no malfunctions.

PhillipM
05-14-2014, 04:05
Good report!

dave
05-14-2014, 05:36
Mossberg rifles were very simple designs, one way to keep price below the compitition. So simple that an average guy with any mechanical sense at all should be able to tell what a problem is and fix it! Its loose? You think that is the problem? See how it is attached.

jeremy69
05-19-2014, 01:34
Now I need to look at mine, I had issues with mine last weekend and have not investigated yet. Thanks for the timely pst. :-).

jjrothWA
06-25-2014, 08:18
as you might have a EXCESS wax on the rounds.

Back in the 90's used a couple lots of T22 that I had to wipe the extra lube off to ensure extraction from three rifles.

Art
06-25-2014, 08:30
as you might have a EXCESS wax on the rounds.

Back in the 90's used a couple lots of T22 that I had to wipe the extra lube off to ensure extraction from three rifles.

While too much lube on the cartridges might be a problem it wasn't the issue in my case. The rifle extracted fine, it just wouldn't eject because the extracted cases were riding over the top of the ejector. As I said above, tightening the two screws that held the trigger group into the action solved the problem.