PDA

View Full Version : Question on 22LR copper plate ammo.

SUB VET II
05-06-2014, 02:38
Just came into a brick of 22LR High Velocity ammo. that is copper plated. What are the pro's and con's of shooting this stuff in good tgt. rifles and pistols. Have always used quality ammo., lubed but no copper plate. This does not appear to have any lube. Thanks in advance.

bd1
05-06-2014, 03:46
I shoot the high velocity stuff (36 gr mostly) in .22 pistols with good results. The bullets are lead with a copper wash coating, won't hurt your barrel.

emmagee1917
05-06-2014, 04:03
Just think of it as the Berry's Or Rainer bullets of the .22 world .
I shoot the 40gr solids in all my WW2 trainers . If the Garands , Springfields , Carbines , SMGs , etc. all get FMJ , why not them ?
Chris

leftyo
05-06-2014, 07:58
there is really no con to copper plated unless you are striving for maximum accuracy. and as someone who has done it for a living, it is plating, not a "wash".

Johnny in Texas
05-06-2014, 09:37
Why do they plate the poorer quality bullets.

Major Tom
05-07-2014, 04:37
To make'em look nice?

dave
05-07-2014, 05:50
The copper helps prevent leading of the barrel and acts as a lube in this regard. They do do pick up dirt and junk due to sticky grease lube. They are not poorer quality bullets!

leftyo
05-07-2014, 07:38
as above, they are not a poorer quality bullet. it is just yet another variable added to the bullet when searching for accuracy.

SUB VET II
05-07-2014, 11:03
Thank you for the input. So--based on the above comments the copper plated bullets are of good quality however not quite as accurate as a lubed bullet. No down side as far as barrel wear and or erosion. Learn something everyday. Again thanks.

dave
05-07-2014, 11:31
I have no idea where this less accurate stuff comes from! Some documentation please? I use copper plate Win. HP for critter control (I live in the country) and it will group 5 shots, all touching at 50 yds. Will do no better or worse with lead lubed ammo .22 RF do not get errosion, which occurs just ahead of the chamber due to pressure and hot gases. Hi-pwr. rifles use copper jackets and even solid copper bullets and they will wear after thousands of rnds, due to many factors besides the copper. You worry about a non-existent problem!

leftyo
05-07-2014, 03:31
documentation, just look at winning equipment at any rf benchrest shoot, you wont find any copper plated ammunition being used.

Art
05-07-2014, 06:26
The way this was explained to me.... when velocity exceeds 1100 fps by very much at all leading becomes an issue. .22 rimfire that will exceed that is plated to reduce the possibility of lead build up. High velocity .22 rim fire ammunition is generally plinking or hunting ammunition and isn't seen in the matches. Since high velocity ammunition is not made to match standards and match ammo is standard velocity there is no reason to plate the match stuff and the plain old fashioned lubricating methods are fine. The plated ammunition shouldn't impair the ability of the standard velocity unplated stuff to group, at least it hasn't in any of my rifles. Again, maybe I'm just not a good enough shot to notice :) :icon_salut:.

dave
05-08-2014, 05:27
Hi-Velocity will be less accurate then standard vel., yes! Target shooters also handle there ammo with kid gloves, no carry of loose rnds in the pockets of coat, pants, etc. and loading and unloading magazines, etc.
Rumors and hear-say is just impossible to kill!

leftyo
05-08-2014, 08:49
its not that copper plated ammo cant be reasonably accurate, but no manufacturer loads any of it into anything remotely close to match grade/high cacuracy ammo. the process of plating bullets in itself just adds to any inconsistency that is already there with the swaged bullet. the plating process itself is done in huge volumes in not the most controlled process. its absolutely not rumor, as ive plated bullets for a living, and being a little OCD, and a former rf BR shooter myself i guarantee i held my work to higher standards than anyone else ive seen plate bullets. even at that the process isnt controlled enough for repeatable consistancy required for great accuracy, and that is the truth. not rumor, hearsay,bs, or anything else, but straight from someone who has made the stuff.

emmagee1917
05-08-2014, 01:20
I started using the plated rounds for the same reason I go eat at Long John Silver's......just for the hailbut .
No , I shot FMJ out of my military guns , so I thought I'd try it out of the military trainers.
I found the guns easier to clean , stayed cleaner longer ( esp my High Standard and Colt Ace pistols ) , and gave up little in accuracy .
Because I usually shoot outside rather than in , and living in the deep , hot , sandy , windy desert , I found the plated stuff easier to keep clean on the way into the gun.
As an aside , I shot CCI mini-mags , Federal 40gr plated , and the lower velocity WW plated in my testing of accuracy . I found they grouped in every rifle in that order , with CCI and Federal neck and neck . Till I came to my Stevens 416. It would put the Win. into one hole . Much tighter than any of my other rifles with any plated load .
Chris

dave
05-09-2014, 05:50
If I remember correctly Win-Western used to advertise the 'clean' advantage of plated vs. stcky greasey loads and not picking up grime to foul/scratch the barrel. A bit of a streach maybe but good advertising!

leftyo
05-09-2014, 08:43
If I remember correctly Win-Western used to advertise the 'clean' advantage of plated vs. stcky greasey loads and not picking up grime to foul/scratch the barrel. A bit of a streach maybe but good advertising!

plated definately picks up a lot less crud than lubed bullets. no doubt about that.

Parashooter
05-09-2014, 08:49
Just came into a brick of 22LR High Velocity ammo. that is copper plated. . . This does not appear to have any lube. . .

Actually, it is lubed - with a fairly thin coat of hard, transparent wax. Lubes the bore to reduce fouling and helps prevent corrosion on bullets during storage.

Clark Howard
05-10-2014, 08:23
I am given to believe that OCD is in it's self a reward and a punishment. Regards, Clark

Ron James
06-20-2014, 03:21
I'm a little confused on where the poor accurately info comes from also.