PDA

View Full Version : Oddly marked M1A1

stefor
05-05-2014, 04:20
I picked up my carbine in 1973 at Ft. Bragg for $150. Its been in the closet for a lot of years and I finally decided to check out its heritage. I know its not a production M1A1 as its not an Inland (Winchester, #1.1 mil range). It may be a post production as the stock has all the right stuff but no cartouche and a P (no circle) stamped under the trigger guard on the pistol grip as well as no IO in the stock. A further oddity is its stamped as an arsenal rebuild, but is stamped PAA. AAP is a valid Augusta stamp, did Mr P screw up and put it before the AA? Or is this a total but good fake with the correct butt plate, leather and 7/4 rivits (again post war rebuild?). Has anyone seen anything like this? Ideas? Like I said, it cannot be a modern fake, maybe a 50s to 73 fake, but not after that. Thanks for reading and any input? sjf

Tuna
05-05-2014, 06:51
If the stock is not marked OI inside then look at the top left hand side of the stock for SA. Would normally be covered by the hand guard. Then look at the butt plate. inside it should be a parts number, then the wagon wheel and then the number between 1 and 12. if any of those are not there it is repo butt plate. On the bottom of the grip it should be stamped RI 3 or SA. As to the rebuild stamps. Any AA would be for Augusta Armory. New guy who didn't know where his P was to go maybe? Who know for sure. They have been faking M1 carbines and parts since the late 1960's and later, right up to today.

stefor
05-05-2014, 07:44
Tuna, many thanks for your reply. I will pry the gun apart again tomorrow to see if there is an SA. However, I had looked pretty closely before and not seen any other marks other than what I have posted. The butt plate is correct, with the wagon wheel and number (3). Nothing on the bottom of the grip. On other posts, I have seen nothing on the bottom of the grip. Are they sometimes under the hardware, requiring removal of the wire stock to see the markings? Thanks again. sjf

Tuna
05-06-2014, 08:03
I would think that it having a P stamped on the grip would indicate it's a USGI grip. The P would be from when it was rebuilt and proof fired during the rebuild. The makers markings can be partly hidden by the wire stock on the bottom of the grip.

stefor
05-06-2014, 11:23
Tuna, thanks again for your response. I am thinking your correct regarding this being a rebuild with USGI grip/stock. I have inspected the interior of the stock and there are no markings whatsoever. I am attaching a few pics of butt plate, cheek pad etc for consideration. I guess what I am looking for is a better than 50-50 chance that this is not a fake, and some idea what this rifle might be worth. Thanks all. sjf

Johnny in Texas
05-06-2014, 12:16
Nice stock there may have been a crossed cannon cartouche on the right side of the pistol grip most grips are marked RI over 3 or SA on the bottom yours has been to an arsenal at some point and only received the markings when inspected along with the M1 carbine that was in it at the time.

stefor
05-06-2014, 12:18
Oops! Forgot the butt plate picture.

Tuna
05-06-2014, 02:41
What I have seen all point to a USGI M1A1 carbine stock but it has been worked on a bit for sure and I'm guess it was during the rebuild that it went through. Value depends on condition of not only the stock but the carbine in it too. If the condition is very good then your looking at about the $2000+ for a value and could go much higher depending on how bad someone wants it.

stefor
05-06-2014, 03:19
Thanks for the input, makes me wish the former Private at Ft. Bragg could have bought a couple.