PDA

View Full Version : National Match Trigger Group

Cosine26
05-03-2014, 07:49
Any idea what a real NM M1 trigger group is worth?

bd1
05-04-2014, 03:44
What makes it different from any other trigger group unless there's a rifle serial # grease penciled on the inside of the floorplate and maybe you can see where the hammer + sear hooks are stoned and squared? Standalone, it's worth the going rate for a trigger group that's had a trigger job (if done right). Still have the rest of the rifle it was matched to? Not "priceless" but the package is obviously worth a lot, esp w/ documentation. That's all that occurs to my feeble mind.

Jay Johnson
05-04-2014, 06:42
It depends, is it a post war trigger group or WWII era components? As bd1 wrote above, how do you know it's a NM trigger group?

Cosine26
05-04-2014, 10:42
It is a long story so take it for what it's worth. In the late 50's and the 60's I was a contractor working on a military base. There was an on-base rifle club and many of the post rifle team members were members of that club. I became good friends with them, particularly the team armorer. Because I also belonged to a civilian club that has 30 firing points to 1000 yards (the post range only went to 300 yards) and because I was a personal friend to Jack Moore (owner of the civilian range) , I worked out an arrangement so that the post team could use the civilian range for matches and "rattle battle' practice. Each year when the post team attended the Nationals at Perry, and exchanged in their NM M1's for the latest edition. Before turning in the M1's they retained a couple of the better NM trigger groups to use as "spares" in case one of the team rifles developed a problem during a match. (Yes M1's have been known to fail during a match). These trigger groups could be substituted quickly.
In 1965 the team exchanged the M1's for the NM M14's And had no further use for the M1 spares. The armorer gave me a large box of M1 parts including two NM trigger groups, Op Rods, Gas cylinders and a number of M1 parts. I used one by having him build a rifle for me.
The trigger group in question still has traces of the S/N in white marking on the inside bottom of the trigger housing. All parts are to the best of my knowledge post WWII and are 1960's vintage parts.
FWIW

bd1
05-04-2014, 11:24
Stick it in one of your M1 rifles and wring it out for break and trophy trigger. If it's good without needing any more work and you want to sell it, ask 50% higher than the highest going rate price on the gun sites.

Cosine26
05-04-2014, 01:14
I am really not interested in selling. Just curious. I have a similar unit on my Winchester Match rifle,built by the same armorer, that shoots better than my NM M1.
Thanks for the replies.
None of the parts that I received have any potential collector value. The are of 1960 vintage and were designed to provide the armorer parts to maintain the team M1's; they are.however of USGI manufacture and not reproductions - some are still in the army wrap.

Jay Johnson
05-04-2014, 02:21
The avg. going rate for a post WWII Garand trigger group is $100, adding 50% would get you $150.

Cosine26
05-04-2014, 03:44
Thanks

S.B.
05-15-2014, 10:46
I've never heard of NM trigger group before? I'm old and always looking to learn more, thou.
Steve

Cosine26
05-15-2014, 11:10
This is a trigger group built on an NM M1 by SA. It was removed by a team armorer and retained as a spare. A standard group was installed on the rifle when it was exchanged in by the team at Perry.