PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know of a source for repro leather for the M1A1 cheekpiece?

Garden Valley
05-03-2014, 02:59
I'm looking for a repro leather piece for the M1A1 metal stock. Anyone know of a source for these? TIA!

c-j
05-03-2014, 07:48
I don't know if you will like this suggestion or not.
If you have the measurements of the check pad take that and the stock to a shoe repairman and I bet they could
turn one out, he probably has the machinery to install the rivets and be a heck of a lot cheaper than buying one.
I've had 2 1911 shoulder holsters repaired by my local shoe repair man.
$5.00 for the 1st one and $10.00 for the second one-great work.
If I had sent them to an "expert restorer" it probably have been $75.00 plus for each holster

Embalmer
05-04-2014, 11:43
There was a guy in Michigan or near by that redid leather of repro m1a1 stocks to correct leather and rivets. Name escapes me at moment, but offered service on eBay.

Richard H Brown Jr
05-04-2014, 08:32
http://www.sarcoinc.com/m1c.html

How's that?

RHB

Garden Valley
05-05-2014, 12:03
http://www.sarcoinc.com/m1c.html

How's that?

RHB

Did not see the leather piece listed, did you?

Tuna
05-05-2014, 06:50
Left hand stock plate leather covered.......$20. If you go this route you will need new rivets too. Be sure to get the correct ones with flat heads. This is listed down on the bottom of the page under M1A1 parts.

Garden Valley
05-06-2014, 12:33
OOPS! I didn't go far enough down the page. Thanks!

Garden Valley
05-12-2014, 01:22
Struck out with SARCO. That item is out of stock.

How about the round head wood screw that goes in the bottom hinge plate? Anyone have one they could part with?

Thanks!

Tuna
05-12-2014, 08:11
Go on Ebay. Do a search for carbine parts. If one seller from France shows up check his auctions. He quite often has a lot of M1A1 original parts for sale.

Garden Valley
05-12-2014, 08:41
I tried that guy. I asked him about the screws and he said $6.00 each including postage. I paid him, never got the screws, he assured me he sent them, waited some more, tried to contact him again, no reply to three attempts. I filed a complaint with PayPal and am waiting for the case to be reviewed so I'll get my money back. Just found them listed on the Northridge site but I don't think they have actually have them.

Tuna
05-13-2014, 07:00
Wow your the first person I have heard of who has had a problem with this seller on Ebay. Sorry to hear it. He does have hard to find parts for carbines but not getting what you pay for is not right.

John R.
05-13-2014, 08:03
I tried that guy. I asked him about the screws and he said $6.00 each including postage. I paid him, never got the screws, he assured me he sent them, waited some more, tried to contact him again, no reply to three attempts. I filed a complaint with PayPal and am waiting for the case to be reviewed so I'll get my money back. Just found them listed on the Northridge site but I don't think they have actually have them.

Correct me if I'm wrong BUT , isn't the lower hinge screw common to M1 rifle short buttplate screws ,
M1 Carbine buttplate screws as well as M1903 upper buttplate screws along with the M1A1 Carbine lower hinge screw ? I have a bunch of these screws in the original packaging as well as ONE brand new lower hinge still in rock hard mid 1940's cosmoline that I picked up overseas a few years ago.

I am flat on my ass on a back board right now . BUT if you don't need it yesterday we can sort it out when I am mobile , in the hopefully not to distant future.

John R.

Garden Valley
05-13-2014, 09:06
Correct me if I'm wrong BUT , isn't the lower hinge screw common to M1 rifle short buttplate screws ,
M1 Carbine buttplate screws as well as M1903 upper buttplate screws along with the M1A1 Carbine lower hinge screw ? I have a bunch of these screws in the original packaging as well as ONE brand new lower hinge still in rock hard mid 1940's cosmoline that I picked up overseas a few years ago.

I am flat on my ass on a back board right now . BUT if you don't need it yesterday we can sort it out when I am mobile , in the hopefully not to distant future.

John R.

By golly, you are right!! I never thought to check that they are the same screw and I sure appreciate you mentioning this. Problem solved. Thanks!

Hope you get better soon.

Now to solve the leather cheek piece issue .........

Garden Valley
05-24-2014, 11:51
I found a fellow who replaces the leather cheek pieces and installs parkerized steel rivets. I had him do mine and he did a superb job. And very fast turn around, too. I'll give his name to anyone looking to have this done.

StockDoc
06-14-2014, 06:12
I don't know if you will like this suggestion or not.
If you have the measurements of the check pad take that and the stock to a shoe repairman and I bet they could
turn one out, he probably has the machinery to install the rivets and be a heck of a lot cheaper than buying one.
I've had 2 1911 shoulder holsters repaired by my local shoe repair man.
$5.00 for the 1st one and $10.00 for the second one-great work.
If I had sent them to an "expert restorer" it probably have been $75.00 plus for each holster

I had some leather parts repaired at a "Tandy Leather", there was a bulletin board with people advertising for work.