PDA

View Full Version : Ohio made it so I can use a 45-70 for Deer

Rick B
04-25-2014, 12:04
Well I do not want to harm my regular Trapdoor so I am going to be looking for a good shooting rough Carbine naturally not original. What should I expect to pay now a days? I always wanted to use my 1884 but the sight is adjusted for distance. I figure I can make a nice site set up on a beat up faked carbine. Any thoughts??? Rick B

Dick Hosmer
04-25-2014, 03:09
Rick,

I might be able to make up something from parts, or supply you the parts, and then perhaps we could consider trading same for some stock work? I have a new 95% inletted carbine stock which I've never used. It has a small defect but is very solid, and would be fine for a hunting piece. I know I can come up with all the metal, somehow.

Rick B
04-25-2014, 07:57
Greatly appreciate and I am up for that. Did you see the mess I started at home :) in case you are also looking for any M1 wood. Fresh from WWII to my Barn. Rick B

http://imageshack.com/a/img62/1176/9bko.jpg

da gimp
04-26-2014, 06:51
Damm Rick............. Wowser is all I can say................. If you find a pretty Overton IHC mid/early 1954 dated let me know.............& a an early tomid 1943 IBM M1carbine stock too...............

joem
04-26-2014, 11:37
That's a lot of wood. What are your plans?

Rick B
04-26-2014, 03:09
Da gimp, only WWII as this was all bought in 1947 from the Government. Have plenty of IBM's but all need work in one way or another. Problem is I am trying to organize but taking orders so once I am settled I can start going after stocks wanted and work a few over to sell. I can put you on the list?

Joem, I am The Stock Doc and if I cant fix it then it must be broke :) I plan on working on all of them over time and have about 2,000 more not int he picture in worse shape. I have found allot of rare No Trap early stocks also but many of the early rare ones are sold. I did find one WRA/WB 2nd box so that makes 6 known to exist at this time. Rick B

Dick Hosmer
04-27-2014, 12:48
Rick, as regards our "pending deal", it may take a little while to round up what I have. I'm assuming you are OK with dealing with a final reblue - I think I have all the parts, but cannot guarantee matching finish. Two things I know I do NOT have, a carbine barrel, and a sling ring/bar assembly - but, neither are required for a shooter/hunter - in fact you will have the option of a longer barrel, which might be a good thing. Cannot recall if the stock is inletted for the bar pads or not - if it isn't, so much the better. You may have to pick up a bit or two, but I know I have the major pieces.

Rick B
04-27-2014, 05:42
Dick,
what do you think about me buying this and having it sent to you? I prefer a shorter barrel unless you think it will be allot less accurate? I hate to be trudging around the woods with long barrels. My biggest issue is getting something I can shoot the sights that are on it I guess as mine shoots a foot high at 50 yards and was told many are this way.. Your thoughts are important to me as you understand the trapdoor better than me. Many other guns I can discuss in depth but not the Trapdoors mechanics. Thanks for helping me out. Rick B

Rick B
04-27-2014, 05:43
http://www.ssfirearms.com/proddetail.asp?prod=BRL4570 Forgot link.

Dick Hosmer
04-27-2014, 06:46
No need to have it come to me. The stock I have will require some finish inletting - it is a repro, maybe that wasn't clear, and I do not have the time or skill to finish it for you. A shorter barrel is less accurate than a full length one - how much would vary from gun to gun. My thought is that you could cut a rifle barrel to 26" or 24", and still not have it too long for the woods, unless you hunt in thick brush. Such a barrel would be a bit stiffer and a bit heavier than a carbine barrel, though recoil shouldn't be an issue when hunting.

We should take this off-line; how about you PM me your email address and phone number.

Rick B
04-27-2014, 06:51
They turned off my rights to PM after I showed how a jerk was arrested for a few things when he kept pee in my cheerios. He turned out to be a sponsor so I was labeled Moderated poster. That was to last one year. 3 years later still the same. I'm better than that so no biggie. Email is Rborecky@roadrunner.com I will shoot you my number once you email me. Thanks,,Rick