PDA

View Full Version : National Postal Meter value?

George198
04-22-2014, 04:05
I have a national postal meter carbine. I've done some research and have determined that it has a Winchester barrel, there is a "P" stamped on the top of the barrel. I know the government back in the day re-built these and piece parted them back together. I don't know what to look for to see if this is an all original or a re-build. and if it were to be an original what the value might be. I would appreciate any help I can get.
Thanks

Tuna
04-23-2014, 06:02
Winchester is not listed as supplying any barrels to NPM. The first thing are there any stampings on the left side of the stock like RIA, AAB or SA maybe? These are just some of them as there are a number of different ones. Is the rear sight an adjustable one? If so what is the serial number for your carbine? Adjustable sights were not used till the end of production so that will give you a good idea if it's a rebuild. If it is then the average rebuilt carbine is in the $800+ range depending on condition. An original as made would be about double the rebuilt price.

jimb
04-23-2014, 05:33
Just saw a SP at the local Gander for $850. Excellent condition rebuild, but it is priced a bit too high.

George198
04-24-2014, 02:48
Winchester is not listed as supplying any barrels to NPM. The first thing are there any stampings on the left side of the stock like RIA, AAB or SA maybe? These are just some of them as there are a number of different ones. Is the rear sight an adjustable one? If so what is the serial number for your carbine? Adjustable sights were not used till the end of production so that will give you a good idea if it's a rebuild. If it is then the average rebuilt carbine is in the $800+ range depending on condition. An original as made would be about double the rebuilt price.

There are no stamping on the the stock. It does have an adjustable rear sight. and the serial no. 4103917. The only markings I can find on the barrel is the stamped letter P. I appreciate your help with this. Thanks

Tuna
04-24-2014, 07:31
Your serial number dates to about November 1943. A type 1 flip sight marked NA on the right side would be correct for your carbine. So if it has the type 3 barrel band with the bayonet lug along with the adjustable rear sight then it's a rebuilt for sure.