PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning a sizing die

sid
04-18-2014, 05:52
The die is a Lee .32 ACP. Is there an easy way to clean out all the crud on the inside? TIA

Tuna
04-18-2014, 06:29
Just about anything that will cut the sizing lube build up will work. Depends on what type of lube has been used too. If water based then that will clean it. If oil based then something like acetone will cut it. If wax type then I'm not sure which cleaner would work best.

Hefights
04-19-2014, 01:36
Obviously, remove the stem. Then I use a pistol cleaning rod with a needle, and a shotgun patch. You can work with patch sizes or pieces of t shirt, with a jag or needle, whatever gives you a tight fit to ensure cleaning but not too tight that it gets stuck. Clean it with a circular motion up inside the die, change patches if necessary.

I have used everything from Hoppes 9, CLP, or other bore cleaner. Just get all the bore cleaner or whatever fluid you use out when done by dry patching. In instances with not too much dirt and mainly sizing lube, I have just used a dry patch only.

I don't recommend water inside a sizing die. I live in a humid climate and despite all the advice on forums about not to worry, just clean rifle bores with hot water, and dies, etc, the rust man comes fast for me. I dont need to use hot water to be effective or save money. Good cleaning fluid works fine doesnt harm anything as long as you reasonbly dry it out.

If the crud is really bad, I use an old bronze brush, in .45 or whatever caliber fits best with the bore cleaner in advance of patchnig to loosen up the crap. Everybody has their method, their prefered cleaning fluid, and opinions run very strong on the good old internet. It is true that the type lube used will to some extent determine the optimal cleaning fluid to use. Have fun and good luck.

joem
04-19-2014, 04:58
I use acetone or Ed's Red mixture with a patch of the correct size for the die.

fguffey
04-19-2014, 05:34
I use a towel on a dowel, I have no interest in starting over with a new die finish, I prefer the broke-in look.

F. Guffey

Maury Krupp
04-19-2014, 08:34
Depends on what the gunk is.

If it's just sizing lube hose it down with brake or carb cleaner. Or go get a carbide die so you can stop using lube in the first place.

If it's something else (like what?) you'll probably have to get more aggressive with brushes and other potions.

Maury

mikld
04-19-2014, 10:18
I have two methods to clean my dies; one, disassemble and clean just like I clean a barrel, and two, I keep a "soak" handy. My soak is mineral spirits, Marvel's Mystery oil, and Kroil. About 80/10/10. I use this to clean my guns, my tools, and just about anything I use for shooting/reloading. Drop a gunked up die in the soak, let it sit for a couple days (or until I remember it) and wipe the outside and swab the inside. Enough oil is left on the piece to deter rust...

Timberwolf
04-29-2014, 03:05
If there is a lead buildup in the die, I run a Hoppes Tornado Brush through it and the removes most, if not all, of the lead. An old bronze brush will work too.

Use Brake Kleen to flush. Do this outside.

tmark
04-29-2014, 09:34
I use Hoppes #9 on a patch to clean my sizing die. It works just fine. I then run a dry patch through the die to soak up excess solvent.

jimb
04-30-2014, 06:06
Towel on a dowel usually works well enough for me.

Matt Anthony
05-09-2014, 02:51
I use mineral spirits to clean dies as that is the cheapest pertroleum product one can buy. You can make a mini parts soaker by cutting a plastic 1 quart automotive oil container. Lay it on it's side, cut out a section where the front label is. Remember to cap it!!!!! Now you can pour in the solvent of your choice and when you are done, take the cap off and pour the used solvent into another container for disposal. I strain it and use it over and over again! Using a five quart oil container gives you a larger soak tub for larger items like pistols and revolvers. To polish your dies, put them in a vibratory cleaner with corn cob media and a bit of Flitz polish, add your shell holders also. It makes them more resistant to rust as the flitz will protect them for 6 month's.
Matt

joem
05-09-2014, 05:22
Along with cleaning the size/ decap die it might be necessary to clean the seat and crimp die as well if you load cast lubed bullets. The lube and lead can build up in the die.

DRAGONFLYDF
05-09-2014, 05:16
take it apart and throw the pieces in the brass tumbler, if it will clean brass, it will clean steel as well.

dogtag
05-18-2014, 01:23
I have to clean my dies a lot because I use PAM as a case lube
which leaves the die gummy. Simple gas with a soft bristle brush does the trick.

Former Cav
06-05-2014, 04:13
I push a 12 gage shot gun brass bore brush through my 45 and 308 dies with no ill affects. then just wipe em clean with a rag.

swede49
10-31-2014, 07:24
I use Hoppes #9 on a patch to clean my sizing die. It works just fine. I then run a dry patch through the die to soak up excess solvent.

+1. Mostly I don't put dirty brass in my dies.