PDA

View Full Version : reloading pistol cases with SR primers

Hecklerusp45
04-17-2014, 02:22
I had someone tell me that pistol rounds that take small pistol primers can be loaded using small rifle primers. Anyone ever hear of such a thing being done?

joem
04-17-2014, 04:09
Yes I have. Please note that it would be wise to reduce your powder charge a bit. Also the rifle primers are a bit higher than pistol primers so make sure they are not seated about the case base for you may have a problem. All the reloading data is based on using the proper primer. Good luck and be careful.

Tuna
04-17-2014, 08:12
Can it be done? Yes it can. Should it be done? NO!!!!!!!! Small rifle primers are hotter then standard small pistol primers, a bit taller and the cup is thicker. They were made for small rifles and are designed for that. Just as small pistol are designed for pistols.

Matt Anthony
04-18-2014, 03:08
Can it be done? Yes it can. Should it be done? NO!!!!!!!! Small rifle primers are hotter then standard small pistol primers, a bit taller and the cup is thicker. They were made for small rifles and are designed for that. Just as small pistol are designed for pistols.

Yes it can be done and it can be done safely. If you are looking at the differences between Remington 6 1/2 and the 7 1/2 there isn't a problem. The 6 1/2 has a thinner cup than the 7 1/2. The 6 1/2 is not suppose to be used on any cartridge of the 222/223 design and larger rifle designs using the small rifle primer. The 7 1/2 primer was developed for the higher pressure cases as the 6 1/2 will not take the pressure. I have had primer leakage and firing pin punctures, plus on one of my Remington 222 I ruined a bolt face.
I have used them on revolver handguns when I could not obtain small pistol primers. Do you reduce your charge, the answer is yes as I used them for cast bullets at moderately low charges without any type of problem what so ever. In fact, I prefer to use them as ignition seems to be more positive as seen on my chronograph.
Other brands of primers I cannot talk about, only the Remington's. If you are worried about depth issue's, you can use an adjustable primer pocket uniformer to cut a few thousands out of the pocket. I bought a double ended uniformer from Sinclair.
So, in closing I say if you are out of small pistol primers and have Remington 6 1/2's, go for it but keep those cases marked if you adjust the depth of the pockets.
Matt

Parashooter
04-18-2014, 06:50
No external size difference in small specs.

http://i50.tinypic.com/2wd1v87.jpg

Matt Anthony
04-19-2014, 03:31
I uniform my primer pockets on all my rifle/pistol cases. My pistol shooting has been slowed down due to a shoulder problem, but 38 light cast bullet loads isn't an issue. Uniforming the bottom of the primer pocket is important as the primer seats squarely, allowing a better seal. Most reloaders do not go the extra mile on uniforming, yes it's an extra step, but it's just another variable you eliminate as a possible problem.
High volume reloaders are not going to uniform primer pockets, that's a given as I know they laugh when they see me doing it. However, I pistol/revolver shoot very little, but my ammo is extremely accurate, more so than the volume boys.
I posted about the size of primer holes on some Win. and Fed. 45acp cases a while back. I know some of the companies were experimenting with producing green ammo. I wonder if the size of the hole had something to do with different primer composition. If anyone knows, please post.
Matt

mikld
04-19-2014, 10:21
Well, should it be done? I dunno, but several years ago I ran out of small pistol primers and used small rifle primers (same physical size. Large pistol and large rifle are different). I was using CCI primers at the time. I dropped my powder charges back down to starting loads ans worked back up, and found a good load for my use...

4F4Nam
04-24-2014, 07:56
Well, should it be done? I dunno, but several years ago I ran out of small pistol primers and used small rifle primers (same physical size. Large pistol and large rifle are different). I was using CCI primers at the time. I dropped my powder charges back down to starting loads ans worked back up, and found a good load for my use...

Same here but the loads seemed to be pretty raunchy. .357 loads in a S&W M-27 so no worries.

Ed

Hecklerusp45
04-25-2014, 06:05
The main reason that I ask this question is because I have somewhere around 2000-2500 SR primers that I can't use. I wanted to use them in my 223 loads, but the cup is too thin and I get a punctured primer about every 50-60 rounds which is bad news for the bolt face. Upon doing some research I found that they are supposed to be used in loads that run lower pressure than the 223. The are supposed to be really good in the 30 carbine and older bolt guns. I am just trying to find a way to get some use out of them. Any suggestions?

4F4Nam
04-25-2014, 06:58
Well, I sure wouldn't throw them away. Why don't you load up a test batch of your favorite handgun load with these primers (with a reduced powder charge!) and check the empties for signs of excess pressure. If they look okay I would load 'em up.
What kind of primers are these that are pressure sensitive?

Ed

mikld
04-25-2014, 09:37
What calibers would you use them in? I have used SR primers in .38 Spec. and 357 Magnum with Unique...

Hecklerusp45
04-27-2014, 06:03
They are Federal 205M and 205M Benchrest. If I were to use them in a handgun load, it would be 38 special and 9mm Luger. I would most likely use them with
HP-38.

Timberwolf
04-29-2014, 03:08
I haven't done it myself, but it's common practice with the IPSC guys who run open 9mm and 38 Super etc guns at major power factors.