PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried these yet?

Allen
04-16-2014, 06:16
Being cast lead you would have to use a reduced charge. At least they have gas checks. I'm just wondering how well they expand--they look like a "super hollow point". I would have to think that due to the size of the opening that long range accuracy may be affected.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=409193955

Matt Anthony
04-17-2014, 04:01
These 44 cal. bullets are defensive rounds for close encounters. They can be used for hunting, but you must make sure they are soft enough to rose pedal.
I have this mould and use the projectile for my in-house 44 mag. M-29 Smith with 22 gr's of IMR4227. It makes a mess of whatever it encounters.......
The hollow point on any bullet does not slow the bullet down when in flight due to the pressure the bullet is causing ahead of itself.

Matt

da gimp
04-22-2014, 07:01
sheesh he wanted the auction to start at $75.00 for 500 lead bullets? Daam........... Heck, I can't figure out why he didn't get any bids ...........

Allen
04-22-2014, 10:44
The 500 bullets have about $20 worth of gas checks installed. The single cavity mold w/handles runs about $120 then there is the main issue of labor so they may not be too far out of line. I intend to order some. I figure 500 will do me and save the cost of the mold and sizer die.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=AwrBTzvKqlZTLwgA3IhXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTBs a3ZzMnBvBHNlYwNzYwRjb2xvA2JmMQR2dGlkAw--?_adv_prop=image&fr=yfp-t-238&va=Lyman+Devastator+Bullets

Matt Anthony
04-23-2014, 02:48
The 500 bullets have about $20 worth of gas checks installed. The single cavity mold w/handles runs about $120 then there is the main issue of labor so they may not be too far out of line. I intend to order some. I figure 500 will do me and save the cost of the mold and sizer die.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=AwrBTzvKqlZTLwgA3IhXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTBs a3ZzMnBvBHNlYwNzYwRjb2xvA2JmMQR2dGlkAw--?_adv_prop=image&fr=yfp-t-238&va=Lyman+Devastator+Bullets

One of the problems with buying cast bullets is the diameter of the bullet versus the size of your barrel and revolver cyclinder and the type of lube the person is using to lube the bullets. You should absolutely slug your barrel and if your weapon is a revolver, every chamber on the cylinder should also be measured. All of the pipes should be the same size. Barrels will lead if fps is excessive in relation to the hardness of the metal. Just because someone says it's linotype, 22 Brinnel hardness doesn't mean it's really that hard. It's best to check or have your bullets checked by someone with a hardness tester. Reading Lyman's cast bullet manual will give you much insight on cast bullet usage and the correct procedures when loading cast bullets.
Another point on these hollow points is what law enforcement and lawyers say on using your reloads for defensive against human beings. I have been told it's not a good idea on the liability issue. Buying defensive rounds is the way to go. Factory hollow points are OK to use, but a jury might believe the lawyer that says your hollow point devastator bullets were somehow more evil than the factory defensive rounds.
Matt

browningautorifle
06-27-2014, 09:25
When casting bullets, one has to do it for himself. The guys that have business can do it cheap enough to undercut all the little guys. Allen's going to buy a lifetime supply, sure. But for bangers, I'm with Da Gimp. If I was going to pay real money, I'd buy jackets. I can make all the lead anything I need for practically nothing by comparison. These might do a good job, but many studies have shown the cavity fills up and doesn't work as well as it was intended to.

Sunray
06-30-2014, 01:10
A cast HP is kind of daft. Any cast bullet will spread dramatically upon impact.
The size of the opening means nothing. Only the base of any bullet matters.
"...the liability issue..." Any good lawyer will blow the whole 'He used reloaded or HP ammo so he could do more damage' thing out of the court room. Might have been true 30 years ago, but any lawyer who didn't say, "My client uses and practices with hand loaded ammunition to improve his shooting skills to eliminate the chances of an errant bullet doing damage or causing injury to a bystander." or the like, is incompetent.