PDA

View Full Version : Were any M1 Carbines manufactured by Springfield Armory?

parrirc
04-16-2014, 02:09
The other day I looked at a M1 carbine that had Springfield Armory stamped on the rear of the receiver just behind and under the rear sight. I am not aware of the Govt. Springfield Armory manufacturing carbines. Did the new commercial Springfield Armory manufacture M1 carbines? Thanks for your help.

RCP

Ltdave
04-16-2014, 06:08
might have been SA inc....

usgi carbines were
Standard Products (at Camp Perry Ohio)
Saginaw Steering Gear (GM in Saginaw Michigan)
Inland Division (GM in Ohio)
Underwood Elliott Fisher (the typewriter company out east)
National Postal Meter (they made Postal Meters for weighing mail out east)
Rock-Ola (juke box company in Chicago)
IBM (International Business Machine out east)
Irwin-Pedersen (furniture company in Grand Rapids Michigan) who had 3,500 rifles completed but none passed their inspection so all parts were moved to Saginaw and receivers marked S'G'

you may already have known that but in case someone else wanders by this post!

M1Garandy
04-16-2014, 07:23
Did the new commercial Springfield Armory manufacture M1 carbines?

Receivers, yes. Complete rifles, I do not believe so.

mar53
04-16-2014, 09:23
Winchester also added to list above.

Tuna
04-17-2014, 07:25
The original Springfield Armory never made any carbines. They did make replacement parts but never any receivers. Springfield Inc. sister commercial company to R.I.A. Inc. did sell receivers which were sold to people who had all of the other parts needed to put together a carbine. Considered to be very good quality receivers. They were made by R.I.A. and marked SA and sold by them.

jimb
04-17-2014, 01:41
Standard Products carbines were made in Port Clinton, not at Camp Perry. The SP plant was on the east side of town. Last time I was there, some of the buildings were still standing. Camp Perry is west of town.

Ltdave
04-17-2014, 06:26
i was under the impression that the Standard Products buildings were on the west end of Camp Perry. oh well been wrong before and will again. i dont know how i missed Winchester on the list of makers...

jimb
04-18-2014, 04:44
The plant is on the south side if main street just east and south of the city hall. They are painted blue and there is a fence around them. You can still see the foundation of the building where the test range was where the bullets penetrated the backstop and went kareening down the street! There has been a so far unsuccessful attempt to make the property into a park.

parrirc
04-18-2014, 07:25
The original Springfield Armory never made any carbines. They did make replacement parts but never any receivers. Springfield Inc. sister commercial company to R.I.A. Inc. did sell receivers which were sold to people who had all of the other parts needed to put together a carbine. Considered to be very good quality receivers. They were made by R.I.A. and marked SA and sold by them. Thanks much for the information!

grooves845
10-18-2014, 05:37
Hello, I'm new to the forum here and just found this thread. Here is a history of Springfield m1 carbine production that I came across : http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbine_springfield.htm
I recently acquired a carbine with a Springfield receiver which led me to research Springfield m1 production. I definitely have carbine fever!

joem
10-18-2014, 06:12
Link doesn't work?

grooves845
10-18-2014, 06:36
Maybe this will work: http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbine_springfield.html

Otherwise, just put Springfield m1 carbine into Google and it should come up.

Oyaji
10-26-2014, 09:36
Quality HMC was omitted from the above list as well.

For info on the Caliber .30 Carbine Manufacturers click on this link: http://www.bavarianm1carbines.com/manufacturers.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1_carbine

L.Drillon
12-08-2014, 04:42
Hello, I have been told Fulton Arms New Carbine receivers are made by the some folks that made SA Carbine receivers years ago??

Tuna
12-08-2014, 09:20
Rock Island Armory Inc. and Springfield Armory Inc. are owned by the same family. They very well may be making receivers for Fulton as they did have the equipment to make receivers for carbines. I do think the main reason they stopped making receivers years ago is the USGI parts needed to assemble a carbine dried up completely for commercial or private production.

grooves845
12-14-2014, 01:24
Apparently the receiver I have was made by LMT for Springfield. It has an "SC" serial number.

Tuna
12-14-2014, 06:12
In the early 1980s R.I.A. had three different batches of receivers made. The first was in Chicago, the second was made in New York and the third was made by R.I.A. Your carbine may be from the 1st or 2nd batch they made but the serial number with SC is not listed on any receivers but that may not be unusual as they did make between 800 and 1000 receivers through 1984.

grooves845
12-14-2014, 06:34
According to this article: http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbine_springfield.html my receiver was made sometime between 1997 and 2003 for Springfield by LMT. I think the gunsmith that made it for me got it at a gun show. Regardless, I'm pleased with it. Lots of fun to shoot.

Tuna
12-15-2014, 05:08
Many of the receivers made for and by R.I.A. were sold outright and not assembled for people to make their own carbines. Some guys bought five or ten receivers, made carbines and sold them.

grooves845
12-15-2014, 05:53
Yep, I think that's exactly what my gunsmith did. He bought at least 4 of the Springfield receivers. Probably more. I'm just glad they're of high quality. I wasn't looking for a collectible, just a good shooter at a decent price. I sold a Beretta cx4 to get the carbine. The Beretta was nice but I will take the m1 any day.

Faulkner
12-22-2014, 12:36
I bought four Springfield, Inc. receivers around the turn of the century and built up complete carbines using them and new/old stock USGI parts and Boyd stocks. It was great fun and very educational and I eventually sold off two and kept two.

The fit and finish of the Spingfield, Inc. receivers is very good and I had zero problem mating them to USGI parts. I seem to recall I paid $89.00 each for them in 1998 or 1999.

http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL488/1124764/6541000/349417134.jpg