PDA

View Full Version : New to reloading 45 automatic

Allen Humphrey
04-10-2014, 08:13
Just bought my first 1911 (Springfield Range Officer) and consequently, the reloading tooling from lee. I've loaded lots and lots and lots of rifle rounds, but darn few pistol rounds. I followed directions and have made and shot about 100 reloads. No real rocket science. I'm loading 230gr round nose bullets. Nothing fancy.

I notice that the bullets tend to tip a bit and bulge the case on one side sometimes. Not a lot, just a little. rounds all chamber just fine. I've belled the cases just enough to easily set the bullet in the case. Light taper crimp as the last step.

I have no interest in making this complicated or expensive. Are there any simple tips or tricks to be a little more consistent with seating, or is this perfectly normal and typical to have a bit of bulge? I notice that the cheap Armscor factory ammo shows some of the same bulge.
Thanks!

psteinmayer
04-10-2014, 10:04
It does happen sometimes. Make sure that your case is expanding sufficiently in the expander die, but not too much as this will weaken your cases. .45ACP tends to not stretch too much, so normally you don't need to trim your cases. Also, the .45ACP headspaces on the case mouth, so be careful to not crimp too tightly. Another thing to watch is to make sure your bullet is centered and square to the case. Sometimes, if the bullet is canted slightly, it will bulge the case as you describe.

Good luck and happy shooting!

joem
04-10-2014, 12:40
Try this set up. Before you tighten the lock nuts adjust your die and raise the ram with a case until it enters the case. Now tighten the lock nut or ring. Do this for each die. Also mark the dies position in the press (majic marker) so it is always in the same place when you set up. Some cases have thinner walls while others can be a bit long or short and still be within spec.

Former Cav
04-10-2014, 02:44
throw away any brass that is marked (headstamped) AMER-C or AMERC.
the dimension across the case mouth when loaded is 471 or 472 max.
the .45 230 grain FMJ is .451,
the Amerc cases VARY in thickness on ONE side between .010 to .020.

so.... .451 +. 020 +. 020 = .491 BZZZZ does NOT FIT!!
I found out the hard way.
It also carries the "American" brand on that crap.
I've seen Sellior and Bellot (good stuff) and Aquilla lately for about $390 per 1000.
Try www.unammo.com and NO, it is not the crappy "united nations"!!
and
http://www.jgsales.com/45acp-s-b-230gr-fmj-ammo,-1000rd-case.-p-483.html
HTH
Bob

Hefights
04-10-2014, 05:23
You can post some pics we can take a look at the finished product if you like.

tmark
04-10-2014, 07:40
Be sure to clean the bullet seating die in the event of a build up of lead or wax. Are the lead bullets uniform in shape?

Johnny P
04-10-2014, 08:19
While the .45ACP case was designed to headspace on the front of the case, few actually do. As the slide comes forward and picks up a cartridge, the cartridge slides up the breech face and under the extractor where it is held during firing. Cut 1/8 inch off the case and it still performs perfectly as long as the overall length is right.

joem
04-11-2014, 04:04
I use case gauges when I set up to load bith pistol and rifle. Before I bought a cases gauge for .45ACP, I used the barrel from one of my 1911's.

Allen Humphrey
04-11-2014, 07:27
Thanks guys for all the comments. Lots of good stuff in there. I really think the bulge is the result of a little tilt in the bullet when I set it on top of the case and then run it up into the seating die. I'm using the Lee factory taper crimp as a separate operation.

I'll take all the suggestions in review when I set up to try the next batch.

Parashooter
04-11-2014, 08:03
It takes a very close-fitting seating stem to align a short, fat RN bullet. When the only contact is at the very top of the bullet, tipping is hard to avoid. If your seater doesn't fit the contour of your bullet well, you can find or make one that does or be very careful about aligning the bullet as you place it on the case and run it into the seater die.

Hefights
04-11-2014, 07:44
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/340927/lyman-neck-expander-m-die-45-caliber-handgun

You could try something like this, but I would just shoot them and if they are accurate, you are good to go.

emmagee1917
04-14-2014, 01:16
Thanks guys for all the comments. Lots of good stuff in there. I really think the bulge is the result of a little tilt in the bullet when I set it on top of the case and then run it up into the seating die. I'm using the Lee factory taper crimp as a separate operation.

I'll take all the suggestions in review when I set up to try the next batch.

Hummmm , are you adjusting the " seating die " up high to avoid it crimping or is it a special non-crimping seating die ? I'm thinking if setting high , you may be setting the stem so low that support from the die walls onto the bullet ( for trueness ) may be insufficient .
Chris

Allen Humphrey
04-14-2014, 09:49
Chris,
It is a non crimping seating die. I set it up per MFG instructions so hopefully I didn't end up unsupported as you describe, but I follow your thought. I will check that.